Hooning Around

winnie

italy, italian
ciao a tutti!

is there anybody who can explain what hooning around means?

i've found it in an old New Zeland newspaper.

many thanks!

• ikester

US - American English
    winnie said:
    ciao a tutti!

is there anybody who can explain what hooning around means?

i've found it in an old New Zeland newspaper.

many thanks!
    Hooning is a slangy term for the type of activities portrayed in the movie "The Fast and the Furious". It involves a predominantly younger crowd, who gather in certain areas, usually in the city, to show off their powerful customized automobiles. They race their hot-rod cars on the streets, do burn-outs (sgommate) and generally create a lot of noise, smoke, excitement and danger. In addition to the verb form, the noun hoon is used to describe a person who participates in these activities, or for a particular evening's event.

Ex. We're going to a big hoon on Wilshire Boulevard tonight. Bob is going to be there, and he's one of the greatest hoons in California. He's been hooning for eight years.

To say that one is hooning around might also mean that they are driving around in a rather fast and reckless manner, or just cruising around in a showy, powerful car.

I've also heard the term used in reference to children who are running around and being loud, but in that sense, it's still a reference to the hot-rods... comparing the children to the fast loud cars.

I have no documentation of the etymology, but the word sounds to me like something of Australia/New Zealand origin.

ciao! ;)

winnie

italy, italian
    :thumbsup: what an exhaustive explanation, ikester!:thumbsup:

thaks a lot!

so hoon is scavezzacollo if he puts himself in danger and teppista if he puts in danger other people. do you agree?

ciao!
    winnie

ikester

US - American English
    winnie said:
    :thumbsup: what an exhaustive explanation, ikester!:thumbsup:

thaks a lot!

so hoon is scavezzacollo if he puts himself in danger and teppista if he puts in danger other people. do you agree?

ciao!
    winnie
    I think most any hoon could be called a scavezzacollo and certainly some of them would merit teppista, but to capture the sense of the word, it must always be in the context of illegal urban motorsport.

< Previous | Next >