hoot like owls loose in the daytime

Angelya

Chinese
"Calling to each other, hooting like owls loose in the daytime, we worked all morning in opposite parts of the woods." I figure it's very strange. What does "loose" mean here? Is it like free? Why "hoot like owls loose in the daytime"? I think owls usually hoot in the night. Hope to receive your reply.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Just by way of context here, the sentence comes from the book The Grass Harp by Truman Capote, and the passage describes the teenage girl and her schoolfriends working in the countryside, calling to out to each other as owls would as if set loose, but doing it in the daytime. :)

Angelya

Chinese
    Just by way of context here, the sentence comes from the book The Grass Harp by Truman Capote, and the passage describes the teenage girl and her schoolfriends working in the countryside, calling to out to each other as owls would as if set loose, but doing it in the daytime. :)
    You mean the author use the daytime to emphasize them doing it on the day rather than night instead of showing owls do it on the day? Is my understanding right?

< Previous | Next >