Hope to get more example sentences of "dip my toe back in"

puputeh24

Chinese, Cantonese
Hi, I came across a dialogue from an American TV show, Youngers. I'm trying to practice and use "dip my toe back in" but I couldn't find any examples from dictionaries. Thanks.

Liza, a 40-year-old divorced woman and trying to hide her real age to 26-year-old.

Liza:

Two years of no sex.

And the second I dip my toe back in, this is what I get.

I mean, it's not like I have any claims on the guy.

I mean, I'm the one who said, "Let's keep it light.

" It's just I just can't believe that he would jump into bed with somebody else right after he'd been with me.

Here are some sentences I attempt to use:

1. I dipped my toe back in the stock market but I lost money.

2. I dipped my toe back in the interview but I was rejected.

• Sepia

High German/Danish
    I am sure it is a metaphor. What do you do before you get into the water to check how cold it is?
    And if you already have been in the water and want check if the temperature has changed - before you just jump in ...?

Chez

English English
    Advert for an art class: if you've always wanted to paint but not been sure how to start, you can dip your toe in with this beginners' course in art.

The best way to dip your toe into politics is to attend meetings with your local MP.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Here are some sentences I attempt to use:

1. I dipped my toe back in the stock market but I lost money.
    That's fine. NB the phrase can be used positively* and/or with only an implied object**.
    2. I dipped my toe back in the interview but I was rejected.
    That doesn't work. the object must be a concept/an abstract (usually an uncountable noun.)

The "back" means "again" and is not an essential part of the phrase.

To dip ones toe in/into something = to try in a tentative manner.

*"My career as an author started when I decided to dip my toe into the world of competitive writing."

**A: "Have you ever tried flyfishing?"
    B: "Oh, I dipped my toe in but I found it boring and gave up."

< Previous | Next >