Horizontal Academics

< Previous | Next >

aha123

Mixed Asian Languages
"Though Owen wrote her 42-page dossier, titled “An education beyond the classroom: excelling in the realm of horizontal academics” reportedly for a few select friends, nothing juicy stays a secret for long in today’s Web world — especially when said item is easily forward-able."

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010...e-powerpoint-horizontal-academics-goes-viral/

What does "horizontal academics" mean? I searched in google and can't find anything.

• WestSideGal

English, US
    In this context it refers to this one particular woman's sexual exploits with several of Duke University's athletes...

In the US (and maybe elsewhere, I imagine) the reference to being "horizontal" (lying down in a horizontal position, parallel to the floor) would mean that you were engaged in intercourse, having sex with someone).

Because this woman's sexual experiences with the athletes happened within an academic environment, or with individuals who were associated with a university, thus the term "horizontal academics".

I hope I didn't make this confusing!

Last edited:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, I haven't actually heard this or any similar phrase, but the British TV comedy series Yes, Minister used the euphemism 'horizontal jogging' for a ... a kind of vigorous exercise one does when one is horizontal. Or when two are horizontal, to be more precise. So although this is not a familiar expression, the word 'horizontal' immediately suggests what sort of thing is really being referred to.

kalamazoo

US, English
    It's a joke, not a standard term. It's meant to refer to "research" that you conducted while you were in a "horizontal" position - that is, presumably in bed with a sex partner.

aha123

Mixed Asian Languages
    I think I have found the answer for my own question.

According to Dictionary.com:
    academics, the scholarly activities of a school or university, as classroom studies or research projects: more emphasis on academics and less on athletics.

se16teddy

English - England
    For me the archetype of the "horizontal" idea is the French (or quasi-French?) term "grande horizontale" (a lady who is great lying down), which is often used in English, for example here. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4727960/La-grande-horizontale.html

Academics can be teachers, or researchers in a university, or maybe researchers not associated with any particular institution, and no doubt other things too.

Myridon

English - US
    As a person, academics are teachers or researchers, but the noun can also refer to the activity in which students also participate.

kalamazoo

US, English
    I don't think "academics" here refers to specific people. It's just the general area of academic pursuits (teaching, studying and so forth). For example, one could say that someone excels in sports but not in academics. That means he's probably not a very good student.

easychen

Chinese
    I agree with Kalamazoo & WestSideGal.

horizontal academics= studies on sexual intercourse.
    And since it happened in a university, the use of academics is more vivid than that of studies.

< Previous | Next >