Horny and pervert

< Previous | Next >

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
Example sentence: Her boss is very “horny” and often tells dirty jokes in front of female colleagues who calls him a “pervert” behind him.

Is “horny” and “pervert” a pair? I know “horny” is an adjective and “pervert” is a noun, nevertheless do they mean the same thing? Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    "Horny" means "sexually aroused". If her boss is horny, he often feels sexually aroused. A "pervert" in this context is somebody who has an abnormal or inappropriate interest in discussing sexual behavior.

These women are disgusted with this boss and the inappropriate things he says to them.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    No, they are very different.

A person who is "horny" has a desire for sex. A married man or married woman might be "horny" this evening. They are eager to have sex with their spouse. In your example, "horny" does not make sense.

A "pervert" does actions that are unusual. It's standard meaning is a person who desires unusual kinds of sex.

But "pervert" is also used as an insult, referring to a person who says or does "inappropriate" things, like the boss in your example.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Is “horny” and “pervert” a pair?
    No. They are quite different.
    Horny is an adjective: Horny - WordReference.com Dictionary of English WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
    horn•y (hôr′nē), adj., horn•i•er, horn•i•est.

4. Slang Terms(vulgar).
    lustful.
    sexually excited.

Pervert is a noun Pervert - WordReference.com Dictionary of English WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
    per•vert
    n.
    10 a person who practices sexual perversion.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Thank you all! It seems like "horny" is neutral. If that’s the case, I will use "dirity-minded” and “pervert”.

< Previous | Next >