Horsehead/face

< Previous | Next >

Vindaloolanda

English
Hello all! I'm hoping this is a fairly easy one, and I *think* I have a good idea of the answer but really I am trying to just double-check to not make myself look silly. I'm very new to learning Latin, you see.
I'm writing a book set during the Roman Empire. A character has his given name as Cassius. He has no gens. He would simply be known in modern English as Cassius Horse-face or Horse-head. (Either is fine) What would that be in Latin? Thanks for taking the time out, it's appreciated.

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    "Having a head like a horse" would be equiceps (genitive: equicipitis). "Horse-faced" would be equifrons (genitive: equifrontis). You might be able to deepen your back story. Read up on the October Horse and its head and tail.

Incidentally, Cassius IS the name of a gens. Read up on Roman naming conventions

Last edited:

Scholiast

saluete omnes!

You could have a go with Caballiceps. It sounds as if this character is of humble status—and to me this feels like a name in Plautus (if you are looking for a comic milieu). And exgerman (# 2) is quite right: 'Cassius' is a nomen gentilicium and therefore the author cannot deny his gens.

Σ

< Previous | Next >