hospitality at a car dealership

meijin

Japanese
Hi, I'm wondering if the word "hospitality" is inappropriate for a friendly, welcoming behavior of staff at a car dealership. I'm only asking this because while I was proofreading a report translated into English by a native English speaker (they often misunderstand, and therefore mistranslate, poorly written Japanese sentences) I noticed that the translator avoided using hospitality even though the original Japanese sentences used the very English word.

So, I've just made up the following two sentences. Would you find the use of "hospitality" odd?

1. I visited the car dealership, and the salespeople there were so nice to me and gave me a lot of helpful advice. I was moved by their hospitality.
2. Are you going to that dealer? Well, don't expect much hospitality there.

• Copyright

American English
    I find "hospitality" odd. I also don't think we would use "moved" in English.

I visited a car dealership today and the salespeople there were so nice and gave me a lot of helpful advice. They really made me feel special.

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you all very much. Once again you have proved that you are much more helpful than the dictionaries. :)

I also don't think we would use "moved" in English.
    (We Japanese tend to say "I'm moved (in Japanese)" very often, not only when, for example, we have tears in our eyes after watching an emotional movie, but also when, say, we've had an unexpectedly delicious meal someone cooked for us. In this case, we are moved by the meal, not by the hospitality (cooking and serving). :D)

< Previous | Next >