Host a guitar pull

< Previous | Next >

emre aydın

Turkish
A musician goes near her friends who are also musicians and says: "Jeanne's hosting a guitar pull for Lady Antebellum's producer, and we get to sing."

(Jeanne is the head of a publishing company they write songs for.)

(Nashville)

What is the definition for "pull" here?

Thanks for your help.

• miba54

English - British
    "A ‘guitar pull’ is a southern tradition where a small group of musicians sit around and take turns playing songs on a guitar. The "guitar pull" is a tradition unique to country music, and it probably originated in a living room or out on a back porch. Typically, several would-be singersongwriters would gather at a friend's house and take turns singing songs they wrote or playing old favorites. The late Roger Miller imagined that the term "guitar pull" came from the fact that there was usually only one guitar to be shared, and the singers would have to "pull" the guitar away from one another to take their turn."

Source

TheMostCunningLinguist

American English
    OP is Turkish, Reply is from England. I live in Asheville, NC, USA. I have resided in Alabama, Colorado, and North Carolina. I have been all around this whole wide world. I have many musician friends and have never heard the term, "Guitar Pull".
    Out West, the activity is simply called a "Jam". ie: 'Do you want to "Jam" some Jerry?' Down South, the music genre determines the name of the Jam. Bluegrass Jams are called, "Pickin'(g) Parties". Then we have "Electric Country", "Blues Jams", "Funk Jams". Everyone brings their own instrument.
    A concert encore, played with band members and other various artists, is known as an "All-Star Jam". When 10 or more Bluegrass Artists crowd around the microphone of a Jam; well, we call that, a "Cluster-Pluck".
    The term, "Guitar Pull", could also be misconstrued as an American term for male masturbation, so please do not use the term on Holiday if you plan on visiting the USA. Roger Miller was not a Southerner, so crediting him with coining the term in question so that ain't right. Ya'll please need to cite your sources, as they are weak and fabricated. Bless Your Hearts.

sound shift

English - England
    TMCL: The term, "Guitar Pull", could also be misconstrued as an American term for male masturbation, so please do not use the term on Holiday if you plan on visiting the USA. Roger Miller was not a Southerner, so crediting him with coining the term in question so that ain't right. Ya'll please need to cite your sources, as they are weak and fabricated. Bless Your Hearts.

Bless your heart as well. The anecdote cited by Heypresto, in the book, They Came to Nashville, by Marshall Chapman. This author is a well-known singer from and in the American South, and has a Wiki entry.

{Wiki} Marshall Chapman (born January 7, 1949, Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States) is an American singer-songwriter and author.

She tells of personal encounters with well-known musicians of the area. To suggest she doesn't know about 'guitar pulls' is quite odd. No one, including her, is claiming Roger Miller coined the term. Miller, too, is a well-known musician who was born in Texas and grew up in Oklahoma. Suggesting he didn't know about country music, one of his specialties, is, likewise, rather odd.

Last edited:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    My own suspicion is that the name has nothing to do with pulling a guitar away from another musician, but is instead an alteration of the name of a better-known old-fashioned social gathering which was very popular in the 19th Century called a "candy pull" or a "taffy pull". Taffy is a confection, and making it involves literally pulling it, which one does with hands that have been greased with butter. You may read more about candy pulls and taffy pulls here:
    Fun Taffy Facts: Its Origins & Why You Pull Taffy | The Warrell Corporation

I suspect that whoever devised the term "guitar pull" was thinking of "pull" as a general term for a party that (like a taffy pull) focuses on a particular activity performed by all members of a group, even if that activity does not involve literally pulling something.

< Previous | Next >