Hot(-)chocolate weather

Hard-beat

Dutch
Is it still hot(-)chocolate weather up there?

I know Google isn't a reliable source when it comes to checking this sort of things, but I made a search and almost none of the results showed the use of a hyphen, while to me it would seem more logical to hyphenate hot chocolate weather as a way to set it apart from chocolate weather that is hot (whatever that might be).

So just checking here to see your opinions.

• rosesrpretty

English - American/British
    You could write it with or without the hypen, since most people would know what "hot chocolate" is. I assume you are talking about hot chocolate milk on a cold day. Since there is no such thing as chocolate weather that is hot, what you mentioned is not really a big concern. I personally might hyphenate "hot-chocolate weather" but probably never "hot chocolate milk".

Dutch and English are pretty similar. Whatever way you would write this in Dutch would probably be acceptable in English as well.

Last edited:

Teiresias

English--American, North Central
    Interesting!

The words "hot chocolate" form a compound (adjective + noun) noun phrase that means a hot chocolate beverage. The phrase "hot-chocolate weather" uses the compound noun "hot chocolate" as an adjective. Compound adjectives in formal writing are usually hyphenated, unless there are too many in a sentence or paragraph, making the text cluttered. Hence, the phrase "hot-chocolate weather" in formal English would usually take a hyphen. In general English, the hyphen would be dropped. If someone heard the compound noun "hot-chocolate weather" for the first time, such a one might wonder if the weather was as hot as hot chocolate or if the weather were cold, making hot chocolate an appropriate drink.

< Previous | Next >