hot dog roll, hot dog bun

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, what do you call the bread which contains the frankfurter, hot dog roll or hot dog bun? Is there any difference? Preference in the USA and UK? Thanks.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Even if it's the same size, shape and constituency of bread in both cases? I.e. the same item?
    That's pretty rare, isn't it? Most hot dogs and burgers are served on soft bread; sandwiches are served on bread with a thicker, more developed crust...

But my answer is actually: Yes. The same bread would be performing totally different functions in both cases. (I suppose that the same carbon atoms are sometimes called "graphite" and sometimes called "diamond," depending on what they're doing...)

EDIT: And just as a PS, rolls can be circular too.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I agree with Keith.
    A roll is long and thin, a bun is round (or at least English ones are :), American ones obviously are not.)

Alby84

American English
    If I were going to the supermarket I would probably be searching for hot dog rolls and hamburger buns. Where I am from, for example, lobster rolls are very popular and they're always long. If I was at a cookout or BBQ, however, and someone asked if there were any buns left in reference to the hot dogs I don't think I would find this odd or strange. Rolls are not always long. "Dinner rolls," for example, are most often round. Quite frankly, I think you could get away with both.

vivace160

American English
    I agree that both "hot dog roll" and "hot dog bun" are fine. I tend to use "roll" more often myself, but I do say "bun" on occasion (for no particular reason), and a quick Google image search brings up packages labeled "hot dog rolls" and "hot dog buns". I personally don't make any distinctions based on shape. As it's been pointed out, rolls aren't always long. Kaiser rolls (also called hard rolls) are round and, as Alby84 pointed out, dinner rolls are most often round, and I would never call either of those "buns".

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Not all rolls are long, not all circular things are buns, nor did I suggest as much in my post #2.

However it does begin to look as if US and UK usages are slightly different; perhaps Boston tends towards the UK?

Alby84

American English
    ... or more likely the Republic of Ireland.
    I come from an Irish Catholic family and live in New England, it's true. I never really thought that it had an effect on my speech patterns, but I've only been on these forums for a week or so and I've already gotten a few such responses.

MarcB

US English
    I see hot dog or frankfurter rolls and buns as the same. Hamburger rolls and buns also. As for lobster I only know rolls and dinner rolls are also what I say.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Away from New England I've only seen the word hot dog buns used. So I don't know if there's a "bun line" somewhere where usage changes or whether things are mixed in other places, too.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    It is in New England, after all! :D
    The town names tell you where the majority of the white settlers in the 17th and early 18th centuries came from. For instance, in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine near or on the coast, there are: Ipswich, Amesbury, Salisbury, Hampton, Portsmouth, Exeter, Wells, Scarborough, Falmouth, Portland, Durham, Bath, Bristol, etc., to say nothing of Boston.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The people in this link refer to the split top style common in New England but not in the rest of the country as "rolls". The other, more standard type, they call buns.

Hot dog rolls vs Buns (live, farm, market) - Jacksonville - Florida (FL) - City-Data Forum

This is from Wikipedia:
    There are two basic types: top-loading New England-style hot dog buns or "lobster buns" in some areas, and side-loading buns, common in the rest of the United States, also called American style buns.

Hot dog bun - Wikipedia

< Previous | Next >