Hot Dog

mehdirad791964

farsi-Iran
Dear Members,
When teaching English to the kids, I am always asked about the origin of the words hot dog < --- > and the reason why they have been called so. I would genuinely appreciate it if you possibly help me.
Best,
Mehdi

< --- > Second question removed. One question per thread, please.
(See our dictionary entry on Big Apple.)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Andygc

British English
    The Wordreference dictionary is useful, you can search for words and phrases.
    hot dog n
    1. a sausage, esp a frankfurter, served hot in a long roll split lengthways
    Etymology: 20th Century: from the supposed resemblance of the sausage to a dachshund

Andygc

British English
    The Online Etymology Dictionary has a rather different explanation:)
    Possibly lifted from the OED?
    With sense A. 1 compare dog n.1 14, which is attested in U.S. slang from c1890 (see Hist. Dict. Amer. Slang at cited word); the sausage was probably so named because it was popularly believed to contain dog meat (see further A. F. Smith Oxf. Compan. Amer. Food & Drink (2007) 303–4). Influence of sausage dog n. at sausage n.
    Note that the "sausage dog" referred to is the dachshund.

Sense A. 1 is the sausage we know as frankfurter or wienerwurst, served hot. The entry for "dog n.1 14" is for dog, usually plural, meaning "sausage".

Loob

English UK
    Possibly lifted from the OED?
    Oh yes, the Online Etymology Dictionary usually closely parallels the OED - though it's sometimes (as we discovered in a thread a few months back) one edition behind the times;).

< Previous | Next >