hot or warm

summerpalace

French - Chinese
When the temperature in the office is high (like 30 degree and outside is 15 degree), we say it's too hot, or it's too warm?

After I do some sport, I feel very hot myself, can I say I'm so hot? or I feel so hot?

Someone to answer?

• Biffo

English - England
    I personally say it's too hot.

These days if you say someone is hot it generally means they are attractive and/or sexy.

Therefore I recommend you say, "I feel hot"

I'm interested to see other opinions.

Last edited:

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    The word choice is entirely subjective -- and some people feel heat more strongly than others. Thus, becasue of these two considerations, one person in a room might say, "It's too warm in here," while another in the same room might say, It's too hot in here."

Generally, too, very high temperatures, e.g. water at scalding level, will always be described as "hot."

There is no exact dividing line between saying "warm" or "hot"; but it is understood that the latter is always at a higher temperature relative to the former.

Myridon

English - US
    The temperature that you suggest is about 5C (10 degrees Fahrenheit) higher than my office thermostat is set for. I would say that was hot or too hot for the office. If the difference were less (say 26 to 27 C), I might use warm instead.

< Previous | Next >