hot spring bath

monkeyaug

Banned
korean
Hello!

Is ' enjoy hot spring bath' an idiomatic expression?

ex) While I was enjoying hot spring bath on a natural outside hot spring, I found a bear looking at me.

• e2efour

UK English
    Hello monkeyaug and welcome to the forum.

"To enjoy a hot spring bath" sounds quite natural. Meaning of course, to get into the water of a hot spring and relax.

But to say that you found a bear looking at you sounds strange. You saw or came across a bear. You might say I found that a bear was looking at me, but noticed a bear sounds much better.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    It's quite full of redundancy for me especially when you go on to repeat it. I'm not sure I'd call it a hot spring if it were unnatural and they are usually outdoors so I would specifiy "indoor hot spring" but not "outdoor hot spring".
    While I was enjoying a bath in a hot spring, I noticed a bear was looking at me.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Just to clarify : in Japan and, I presume Korea also, hot springs (natural is indeed redundant) are commonly used as the supplies for "baths" - these "baths" can be placed inside or outside of a building. Some hot springs are untouched and do not have "baths" built into them. In some contexts, therefore, there is a need to distinguish between a (natural, undisturbed) hot spring and an outside hot spring bath.

< Previous | Next >