hot water / boiling water

lilyjun

Japan Japanese
Hello. Do you use "hot water" or "boiling water" for tea, coffee and so on?

"If the tea is too strong, add some hot water / boiling water."

Thank you.

• Joelline

American English
    When I am brewing tea, I bring the water to a boil before I pour the water over the tea leaves. If the tea were too strong (because, for example, I had let it steep too long), I would probably just say that I needed to "add some water." My audience would understand that the water would be "very hot."

lilyjun

Japan Japanese
    Thank you very much.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me as many examples of when you use "hot water" and "boiling water" as possible. For my language does not have equivalent words to those two and I cannot distinguish the difference between them.

Thank you.

Joelline

American English
    Hi,

When water is "boiled," it means that it comes to the boiling point and begins to change from a liquid to vapor (giving off a lot of steam). "Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius." See some pictures of boiling water HERE.

Hot water is water at a lower temperature than boiling water.

If you need more clarification, may I suggest that you google "hot water" and "boiling water." Both phrases are used literally and figuratively in many ways.

sdgraham

USA English
    I find it strange that Japanese doesn't distinguish between water that is "boiling" and that which is "hot."

Try these:
    • Visitors to a Japanese onsen soak themselves in hot water.
    • The Japanese dish shabu-shabu consists of plunging meat or vegetables into boiling water.

Harry Batt

USA English
    If you are making the water hot enough for boiling and are using water in a pan on the stove, make sure that the water boils before you pour it over the tea. To reheat tea that is too strong, you will have to guess whether you need water hot enough to boil or whether water heated will be enough. There is no rule. It is a matter of your taste or feeling about it. Joelline uses boiling water. That is her feeling about it. My wife uses water of any temperature. I use hot water. If serving several people you would be a thoughtful host if you ask, "Is the tea too strong? I can add some water. Do you want it boiled?"

< Previous | Next >