hotter than a June bride riding bareback <buck naked> in the middle of the Sahara

< Previous | Next >

csicska

hungarian
Hello. In the movie Dracula there was the following line "Miss Lucy is hotter than a June bride riding bareback buck naked in the middle of the Sahara" which I believe is a play on the phrase "hotter than a June bride in a feather bed" (pasted below). What I'm wondering about is if "buck naked" means "naked as a buck deer" / "totally naked" rather than "butt naked" since your butt can be naked but that doesn't mean that your whole body is too (as shown on Wikipedia below)? Thank you.

Quincey P. Morris: And may I say that Miss Lucy is hotter than a June bride riding bareback buck naked in the middle of the Sahara!
Lord Arthur Holmwood: I would watch my colonial tongue if I were you.
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

It's clear as crystal that the term is "buck naked" as in as naked as a buck deer, further reinforced in its usage by the fact that a buck-skin is similar to tanned human skin. The term "butt naked" is just another example of mispronunciation that gets ingrained in people's speech. Talk:Buck naked - Wikipedia

Grandma would tuck ya'll into those feather beds in the winter, cover you with two or three of those hand sewn quilts and you would sink bout two feet down into that there mattress. Now that was some mighty fine sleeping, you would be all warm and toasty and that there mattress was so soft you would sleep like a new born baby. Now imagine that same nice warm cozy feather mattress in the heat of a steamy June summer night down here in the South, why you would almost have yourself one of them there heat strokes just a sleepin' by your self never mind havin' your cotton pickin' man layin' there in that darn bed with you and we all know how newlyweds are.
Grandma's Country Kitchen: It's hotter here than a June Bride in a Feather Bed

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    What I'm wondering about is if "buck naked" means "naked as a buck deer" / "totally naked" rather than "butt naked" since your butt can be naked but that doesn't mean that your whole body is too (as shown on Wikipedia below)?
    Yes, it means "fully naked".
    An earlier thread: Buck Private/Buck Naked
    Edit: Butt-naked is used with the same meaning.

csicska

hungarian
    Thank you. Is the "butt-naked" then an incorrect spelling of "buck naked"? Also, does the whole expression play with various aspects of "hotness"?

Miss Lucy is hotter than a June bride riding bareback buck naked in the middle of the Sahara
    Miss Lucy is hotter (more physically appealing) than a June bride (a bride getting married in June probably feels hot in her wedding dress given the outside temperature a possibly also physically appealing) riding bareback (this is probably a double meaning also related to sex) buck naked (having sex naked or riding a horse naked) in the middle of the Sahara (Sahara is known for its high tempretures)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You are probably looking far too deeply into what is a comdey line:
    "Miss Lucy is hotter than a June bride riding bareback buck naked in the middle of the Sahara"
    This can be understood as

Miss Lucy is hotter/sexier than
    a June bride - sexy
    riding bareback buck-naked -sexy
    in the middle of the Sahara
    -hot

However the overall impression is "Miss Lucy is more sexy that something that is very sexy." with the wordplay on "hot."

Is the "butt-naked" then an incorrect spelling of "buck naked"?
    No, probably a version of "buck-naked" cause by mishearing. Things that don't get written down a lot suffer from this.

There is an interesting thread, if you have an hour or two - on "another think/thing coming" in which one version is clearly a mishearing of the other.)

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Also, does the whole expression play with various aspects of "hotness"?
    Yes.

I read it much as PaulQ has said in post#5. Probably 'riding bareback buck-naked' to many BrE speakers brings to mind the ancient legend of Lady Godiva who rode naked through the streets of Coventry. (It instantly reminded me of it anyway. :))

Lady Godiva - Wikipedia

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >