Hour..

renart49

korean
Hello. everybody. I've finished a book named ' Medieval tales and stories'

In reading I found a sentence including the word 'Hour', which I could not guess the meaning of it.

Here is the sentence which is bold and underlined.

A asked B what words his brother uttered most frequently while riding (Horse),
So B reflected and replied : When My master(A's brother) rides, he says his hours, and
I do not thin he pronounces any word more frequently than those that occur at the beginning of each canonical hour:
'Make haste, O Lord, to deliver me"

what's the meaning of "says one's hour" ??
is it meaning of talking about his "life'??
If anybody can help me out this. I would very appreciate. Thanks.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    From OED for "hour":
    5. Ecclesiastical In plural. The prayers or offices appointed to be said at the seven stated times of the day allotted to prayer (canonical hours: see canonical adj. 1b); (also, short for book of hours) a book containing these. Rare in singular.​

I have no idea what words were used, but your quote implies that they each began with the words from Psalm 70: "Make haste, O Lord, to deliver me".

renart49

korean
    From OED for "hour":
    5. Ecclesiastical In plural. The prayers or offices appointed to be said at the seven stated times of the day allotted to prayer (canonical hours: see canonical adj. 1b); (also, short for book of hours) a book containing these. Rare in singular.​

I have no idea what words were used, but your quote implies that they each began with the words from Psalm 70: "Make haste, O Lord, to deliver me".

Thank you, It is really helpful. I appreciate your kindness.