Hourly garage

GiGi_travelling

French
Hi everyone, this is my very first post here but i am a big fan of the forum and am using it for years now.

A friend of mine is translating a document from English to French for a parking compagny and can't understand in their list why sometimes they use parking and other times garage, for example:
- hourly garage
- express parking

Does 'garage' mean the same than parking or does it have another meaning ?

Thanks a lot in adavnce, i can give more details if needed.

Have a wonderful day/afternoon or night :)

JJ

• Root of All Things

English - American
    A garage is a building, that may or may not have general-use parking in it. For example, one may call a place you go to get your car repaired a garage (or a "mechanic's garage"). You do park your car there (because its probably broken), but its a different kind of parking than say, where you leave your car while you go shopping.

An "hourly garage" implies that its for general-use public parking, because other uses typically don't have time qualifiers (you don't know how long the mechanic will take).

GiGi_travelling

French
    An "hourly garage" implies that its for general-use public parking, because other uses typically don't have time qualifiers (you don't know how long the mechanic will take).
    thank you i will transfer to my friend i think it might help, i ll come to you if more question, but already that is really super nice of you. really, than YOU !! have a great one :)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Ah! My AE is not 100% :oops:

I suspect that garaging will be under cover rather than on an open car park/lot and will simply refer to the hourly parking costs.
    Express parking will probably mean that your car will be garaged/parked somewhere more convenient and may be someone will drive it to the parking space and back again.

I think the real difference in garage and parking is that "garage" sounds quite basic, and "express parking" sounds more desirable... and thus costs more.

However, three things:
    An AE speaker may be better placed to answer this
    More details and background to the phrases will be helpful
    It may be important, so I should ask the company what exactly they mean.

Myridon

English - US
    I think the real difference in garage and parking is that "garage" sounds quite basic, and "express parking" sounds more desirable... and thus costs more.

However, three things:
    A garage is a building that may provide the activity of parking. (We don't have a word "garaging." We don't garage our cars - we park them in a garage.) If you're parking in a building, it's a (parking) garage and it's covered except that you may be parking on the "roof" if you're on the top floor of the building and thus not be covered. If you're not in a building, you're in a parking lot.
    Express parking is a service that allows quicker parking in some way. It doesn't matter if it's a garage or a lot.

GiGi_travelling

French
    Thanks
    Ah! My AE is not 100% :oops:
    However, three things:
    More details and background to the phrases will be helpful
    It may be important, so I should ask the company what exactly they mean.
    Thanks so much Paul !!! I really appreciate, i will ask my friend to give more details for sure. Have a wonderful one and thanks again !

GiGi_travelling

French
    thank you
    A garage is a building that may provide the activity of parking. (We don't have a word "garaging." We don't garage our cars - we park them in a garage.) If you're parking in a building, it's a (parking) garage and it's covered except that you may be parking on the "roof" if you're on the top floor of the building and thus not be covered. If you're not in a building, you're in a parking lot.
    Express parking is a service that allows quicker parking in some way. It doesn't matter if it's a garage or a lot.
    yes it does help a lot, that is really of you for taking the time, have a ggreat great one !! and thanks again :)

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's very likely you drive your own car into the hourly parking garage and find your own space. You pay for how many hours you are parked or possibly a maximum fee if you are there longer than a certain number of hours.

Express parking does sound like some kind of valet service where you don't have to park your own car, saving yourself time and trouble (but paying extra money).

GiGi_travelling

French
    Thanks
    It's very likely you drive your own car into the hourly parking garage and find your own space. You pay for how many hours you are parked or possibly a maximum fee if you are there longer than a certain number of hours.

Express parking does sound like some kind of valet service where you don't have to park your own car, saving yourself time and trouble (but paying extra money).
    hehe we got it now !! thank you very much, have a beautiful night/ day :)

< Previous | Next >