House of the Breeze

< Previous | Next >

cirel

America - English
I am in the process of naming my new home "House of the Breeze".

I THINK that in Italian it would be "Villa della Brezza", but it doesn't feel or sound quite right. What am I doing wrong?
I'd greatly appreciate assistance. Thank you

• Jana337

čeština
    cirel said:
    I am in the process of naming my new home "House of the Breeze".

I THINK that in Italian it would be "Villa della Brezza", but it doesn't feel or sound quite right. What am I doing wrong?
    I'd greatly appreciate assistance. Thank you
    Hello and welcome! :)

Our natives will certainly help you. Let me ask you a favor: To facilitate orientation and future searches, we like our members to choose as meaningful thread titles as possible. House of the Breeze would be perfect in your case.

By the way, I have had to rename two Italian threads with an identical title today. This forum would be a mess if we weren't considerate. :D

Bye,

Jana

P.S. Personally, I would go for Villa Brezza but natives will definitely come up with better solutions.

Alfry

Italian
    Ciao Cirel,

nulla di sbagliato.
    nothing wrong.

actually, there's something wrong but it has nothing to do with your question :)

It's just a matter of rules:
    titles, such as "help,please" are not good- what about House of breeze"? :D

EDIT: see? moderators are fast!!! Scusa Jana ma stavamo scrivendo contemporaneamente

disegno

United States English
    Cosa ne dici di 'Villa del Vento', penso che questo suoni bene...o più poetico 'Villa del Vento Ponente' ma questo mi fa pensare di un sciocco teleromanzo si puo vedere sulla RAI. (Guardate! Ho imparato una cosa dalla discussione recente della RAI...al meno spero di sì! ) :D

cirel

America - English
    Disegno,
    I didn't understand a word, but thank you anyway; I think you suggest 'Villa del Vento" which is lovely, or 'Villa del Vento Ponente", which means?

disegno

United States English
    cirel said:
    Disegno,
    I didn't understand a word, but thank you anyway; I think you suggest 'Villa del Vento" which is lovely, or 'Villa del Vento Ponente", which means?
    mi dispiace! Ponente = western. Vento di ponente = western wind
    It rolls off the tongue in a nice way.

Vento di Ponente is also the name of a silly fictional tv show on RAI
    It deals with two "feuding" families who own ship building companies in Genova, and of course there is a Romano/Juliette theme with a daughter and son from each family falling in love....

Silvia

Italian
    Is it a villa? Or just a house?
    Villa Brezza - as suggested by Jana - is better than Villa della Brezza. I don't mind Villa Zefiro.

I hope the house is not in an area of tornadoes!

cirel

America - English
    It's a large house, Silvia, on several acres, Spanish in architecture with a beautiful view of the ocean - no tornadoes in So. Calif., thankfully. And it has a gentle, constant breeze, but of more import is that my favorite dog is named "Breeze", hence
    "House of the Breeze" !

Silvia

Italian
    Literally "Casa della Brezza", it's not bad, on the contrary. Brezza is usually associated to the idea of sea:
    brezza marina = sea breeze

Brezza is pronounced bray tsah

Elisa68

Italian
    cirel said:
    But I like the idea of a 'villa' better than 'casa' . . . .
    And I agree with you!!!! :)

Villa is a more appropriate term for a private house while casa, remind me a private hospital or a retirement house :eek: (at least in Italy: casa di cura o casa di riposo).

Villa is definitely more beautiful so go ahead!!!!:D

*Laura*

Italy - Italian
    In Sardinia there is a beautiful restaurant called "Casa del Vento", maybe it's less poetic than "Villa Brezza", but anyway I like it a lot

cirel

America - English
    You are all being so very helpful - thank you so much!
    Why is the 'del' in the middle of "'Casa del Vento" but you don't suggest using it in 'Villa Brezza" ?

Jana337

čeština
    cirel said:
    You are all being so very helpful - thank you so much!
    Why is the 'del' in the middle of "'Casa del Vento" but you don't suggest using it in 'Villa Brezza" ?
    This is quite tough! I am not a native but I think it just sounds better this way. Furthermore, casa and vento have different genders, which is certainly a lame explanation, but I would prefer Casa Brezza over Casa della Brezza.

Jana

Silvia

Italian
    cirel said:
    Why is the 'del' in the middle of "'Casa del Vento" but you don't suggest using it in 'Villa Brezza"?
    Ok, tell me why you say Lake Michigan, but Mississippi River, and then I'll think of something. :p

disegno

United States English
    Silvia said:
    Ok, tell me why you say Lake Michigan, but Mississippi River, and then I'll think of something. :p
    ...just 'cause :eek: Seriously, I think that rivers suffer from an identity crisis and feel more secure if they have their proper names placed first. :D

cirel

America - English
    Mmmnnn, good question Silvia: those are the names of those bodies of water, not a choice of grammar. I assume 'del' or 'della' means 'of the', so using one or the other is grammatically correct, or not, as the case may be.
    Another example: 'College of the Pacific" and 'Pacific College' are two separate and different schools, and those are their names - there is no choice in the use of ' of the'. It seems, however, that I have a choice of using 'del' or 'della' or not, gramatically it seems to be correct; it just doesn't SOUND good !

Silvia

Italian
    Cirel, you said it, there might be a hotel named "Hotel Due Laghi" and another one named "Hotel dei Due Laghi". It becomes a proper name. Besides that, sometimes there are no rules, so why should we make them up? Let's just live with that!

< Previous | Next >