House "OKs" Congressional Maps‎?

< Previous | Next >

WUMJ

Mandarin Chinese
Excuse me. Do Americans emphasize grammar in daily conversation? For example, "House OKs Congressional Maps‎" (news title), OK is not a verb but in the character of verb in this sentence. << Second question removed. >> Thanks.

<< One question per thread, please. Second question should have its own thread.
Moderator >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    This is typical for a newspaper headline - where there is limited space to get the meaning across. It has carried over to television news programming. It is not typical of daily conversation, although to use OK as a verb is quite common colloquially to mean "approve (of)".

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    We're only allowed to answer one question at a time. If you meant also to ask something about "world-class transfer," you must start another thread.

"OK" is used as a verb, sometimes spelled "okay" in American English, with the following conjugation:
    Active Voice
    I OK/okay, you OK/okay, he/she/it OKs/okays
    we OK/okay, you OK/okay, they OK/okay
    I OK'ed/okayed, you OK'ed/okayed, he/she/it OK'ed/okayed
    we OK'ed/okayed, you OK'ed/okayed, they OK'ed/okayed
    I will OK/okay, you will OK/okay, he/she/it will OK/okay
    we will OK/okay, you will OK/okay, they will OK/okay
    Past participle: OK'ed/okayed
    Present participle/gerund: OKing/okaying
    Compound tenses:
    I have OK'ed/okayed, etc.
    I had OK'ed/okayed, etc.
    I will have OK'ed/okayed, etc.
    Progressive or continuous tenses:
    I am OKing/okaying, etc.
    I was OKing/okaying, etc.
    etc.
    Emphatic tenses:
    I do OK/okay, etc.
    I did OK/okay, etc.
    etc.
    Passive Voice
    I am OK'ed/okayed, etc.
    I was OK'ed/okayed, etc.
    I will be OK'ed/okayed, etc.
    I have been OK'ed/okayed, etc.
    I had been/will have been OK'ed/okayed, etc.

Anywhere another verb uses a form ending in -ing, you can insert OKing or okaying.
    Anywhere another verb uses a form ending in -ed, you can insert OK'ed or okayed.

So "House OKs Congressional Maps" is a perfectly good headline to indicate that the boundaries of districts for electing members of the United States House of Representatives for a particular state have been approved by the state House of Representatives of that state. Once "Senate OKs Congressional Maps" and "Governor OKs Congressional Maps," the state will have a set of Congressional districts to use in the election to take place on November 6,2012, and on the first Tuesday after the first Monday every second year therafter through the year AD 2020.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thanks, JulianStuart. Do you mean it is not expected to hear (most) Americans say this way?
    Indeed, it is very popularly used. The boss okayed my vacation.
    What I meant, using pops's example is that he would not say (usually) in a conversation "Boss OKed vacation" but he would say it normally "The boss okayed my vacation". The shortened version would be a headline in a newspaper.

< Previous | Next >