house-proud accent

berlinbologna

italian
I am translating a short story. It is set in a Catholic mission in Kenya, during the troubles between British troops and a nationalistic organization. Although the setting is so serious, the story is a comic one:

«Have they had any trouble?» I asked. ["They" are the people of the mission]
«Trouble!» Father D. exclaimed in his house-proud accent. «They’ve got fifty Home Guards stuck around the place (…) What chance have the rebels, poor devils, with a place like that?»

I don't understand the meaning of the word "house-proud", used in this particular context. Nothing is said about this Father D. in the story (about his housekeeping passion, for example, or something like that).
I hope you can help me understanding! Thank you very much!

• b1947420

British English
    In my experience I would normally think of "house-proud" as referring to someone who likes to maintain the interior of their property in good order and tidy.

Applied to an accent I can only assume that the accent would be very correct in the pronunciation -- this is my guess. :)

se16teddy

English - England
    I don't think we know anything about the phonetic characteristics of Father D's house-proud accent. All we know is that Father D, like many people, had different voices that he used in different situations.

Loob

English UK
    What makes you say that, teddy - do you have more context? I assumed, on reading the extract, that Father D's "house-proud accent" was a permanent characteristic....

That said, I don't know either what a "house-proud accent" is:D.

se16teddy

English - England
    I assumed, on reading the extract, that Father D's "house-proud accent" was a permanent characteristic....
    I didn't think of that possibility. I assumed that the Home Guard cluttering the place up in some way either made Father D house-proud or irritated him because he was house-proud, and so caused him to put on his house-proud accent.

< Previous | Next >