House

gameroftheuk

English
I have been told the word "house" in Arabic is said in 2 ways, Mansionl or Bait, this is my pronunciation maybe you can get something close. The question is which one is more commonly used.

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I have been told the word "house" in Arabic is said in 2 ways, Mansionl or Bait, this is my pronunciation maybe you can get something close. The question is which one is more commonly used.
    Mansiol doesn't exist, maybe you mean "manzil" منزل , this one is MSA, so the more common in bayt or bait بيت .
    There's also daar دار .

gameroftheuk

English
    The one in Rosetta Stone goes like this: Manzil Kadeem, meaning old house, but in the further exercise it would introduce a man standing on the house, transliterated by my own pronunciation, would be "rajoul foukai al bayt", can't you use manzil instead of bayt in this context?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    There's also maskan مسكن
    This technically means "abode, dwelling place," so it need not necessarily be a house.
    The one in Rosetta Stone goes like this: Manzil Kadeem, meaning old house, but in the further exercise it would introduce a man standing on the house, transliterated by my own pronunciation, would be "rajoul foukai al bayt", can't you use manzil instead of bayt in this context?
    It would be "rajul(un) fawqa 'l-bayti," and yes, you could say "manzil" instead of "bayt."

< Previous | Next >