House

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by jana.bo99, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Slovenia
    Cro, Slo
    I am not sure if that was before, but I can try:

Slovenian: Hiša!

Croatian: Kuća!

German: Das Haus!

jana.bo

2. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew, English
    Hebrew: בית (bait)

Spanish: Casa

3. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Japanese:

家 (ie): Probably this is the most ordinary word for "house" but it often refers to an idea of family consisting of paternal lineal relatives.

家屋 (kaoku): This refers only to houses as physical structure.

家 (uchi): Literally "inside," it refers to something akin to "home." It can, however, be used interchangeably with 家 (ie) as the Chinese character representation shows.

4. Nizo Senior Member

Esperanto:

domo

Afrikaans:

huis

5. DrWatson

DrWatson Senior Member

Finnish: talo
    Swedish: hus
    Hungarian: ház
    Russian: дом [dom]

6. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    Just to add a little twist to the thread...
    Do your languages make a distinction between house and home?

In Spanish, we have casa for house (as already mentioned by Mjolnir), and hogar for home.
    However, the latter's not frequently used in common speech, but it's rather reserved for literature and/or formal contexts. It's much more "poetical", if you will.

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew, English
    A very interesting twist, Kangy :)

Hebrew does make a distinction between house and home, but they're both basically בית (bait).

If you want to say "I'm going home", you say "אני הולך הביתה" (ani holech habaita), which is literally "I'm going to the direction of the house". *
    If you want to say "I'm going to the house", you say "אני הולך לבית" (literally).
    So home usually gets a suffix and a prefix (ha-bait-a).

* "I'm going to the direction of the house" has a different translation, without "home", so you can differentiate between the two.

8. avok

avok Banned

"ie" is like Turkish "ev" which means house. How do you say "in the house" or "to the house" in Japanese?

9. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I am not sure how ie and ev can be like each other but *ipe in Archaic Japanese looks more irrelevant to the Turkish word. Anyway, "in the house" and "to the house" are expressed by combinations of postpositions and abstract nouns (since definite/indefinite is not a grammatical distinction in Japanese, "the" in your examples are omitted):
    in house; ie-no naka-de (house-of inside-at)
    to house; ie-ni (house-to)

10. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    That's very similar to Portuguese, where casa is house and lar is home. For example, we say lar, doce lar for "home, sweet home".

11. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    Just like in Spanish: "Hogar, dulce hogar" :)

Mjolnir, that's very interesting. So you use the words differently as far as grammar.

12. StefKE

StefKE Senior Member

Brussels
    French - Belgium
    In French we say: une maison.

13. Mahaodeh Senior Member

London, UK
    Arabic, PA and IA.
    In Arabic there are several names that can be translated to house with nuances between them:

بيت bait = a house in the sense of a home, it also applies to a condo, mobile home, tent (if it's the normal place of residence), palace...etc.
    دار daar = a house in the sense of a building so this word can be also be used in names such as "court house" or "guest house".
    منزل manzil = a house that several or many people live in, so it can also apply to an appartment house.
    مسكن maskan = a house in the sense of "a place to live", so it can also apply to a dorm or anything similar.

14. Oschito Senior Member

Midwest, United States
    English, USA
    In Spanish, I always get caught up wanting to say "I'm going home", not necessarily in the sense of going to the house in which my parents reside, but the place I grew up and feels familiar and "home-like".

Even if I did not have a house there, I would still call it home.

Does anyone have a satisfying substitute in Spanish? Does this idea exist in other languages?

15. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,

In Dutch
    House = huis
    Home, at home = thuis (also used as a noun)

Groetjes,

Frank

16. kusurija

kusurija Senior Member

Lithuania, K. city
    Lithuania Czech
    In Czech:
    Most common word is
    dům (nominative, sg. (or acc.);
    other cases strongly differ: gen., dat., loc.1: domu, voc.: dome, loc.2: domě, instr.: domem; pl. nom., acc., voc., instr.: domy, gen.: domů, dat.: domům, loc.: domech)
    Other synonyms/or diminutives: domek, domeček, barák, barec, baráček, barabizna, kúča/kůča, kučka, vila(villa), vilka, palác, hrad, hrádek, hradlo, zámek, chata, chatka, chatička, chatrč, chajda, chýše, chyška/chýška, chyže, salaš, stodola, hájenka, ratejna, obydlí, bydlo, usedlost, sedlo, sídlo, zboží, statek, samota, stavení, budova, činžák, panelák, věžák, mrakodrap, úchylek, příchylek, útulek, přístřeší, přístřešek, srub, fazenda, residence/rezidence, byt, příbytek, přístavek, kumbál, hampejz, okál, fiňák, bungalov, brloh, hacienda, budoár, stavba, novostavba, pavlač, pavláčka, mansarda, kotec, kotedž, kolej, bytovka... ...

17. kusurija

kusurija Senior Member

Lithuania, K. city
    Lithuania Czech
    In Lituanian:
    namas (most common)
    other: pirkia, būstas, pastatas...

18. avok

avok Banned

Hmm I am just looking for similarities between Turkish and Japanese since they are both supposed to be Altaic.

In Turkish :

Ev-de: Evde: At Home, in the house
    Ev-e: Eve: To the house

I think "ie-no naka-de" is something like "inside the house". Can't you say "ie-de " for "at home" ?

I think the literal translation of "ieno nakade" would be "ev-in için-de", "evin içinde" in Turkish ...

19. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Sweden
    Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    In Romanian it's casă. Other closely related words meaning "home" are domiciliu and locuinţă.

:) robbie

20. Orreaga

Orreaga Senior Member

New Mexico
    USA; English
    The usual translation of the English word "house" in other languages I've studied is somewhat broader than what we usually think of as a "house" in English. Often it includes many other kinds of buildings which are called something else in English, or can be compound in English (e.g. "apartment house", "boarding house"). Typically, at least in American English, "house" (unqualified) has come to mean primarily a free-standing single-family dwelling.

Embarrassingly, in parts of the Southeast US, there was a distinction (maybe it still persists) between whites and blacks; white people referred to their dwellings as "homes", and "house" was used specifically for dwellings of black people.

In Navajo, kin can mean house, trading post, or other building; hooghan is the traditional Navajo family dwelling, or hogan, which also has the connotation "home", even when not referring to a traditional hogan.

21. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    "Vuelvo a casa"?

22. cALLgUrl New Member

Philippines
    Philippines... Tagalog|Cebuano|English
    In Philippines (Tagalog):

house--bahay
    home--tahanan

The two words are interchangeable, it just depends on how you use it in a sentence.

23. yam1983 New Member

Davao City, Philippines
    Philippines-Filipino/Chavacano/Bisaya/English
    in Filipino/Tagalog: bahay
    Bisaya: balay
    Chavacano: casa
    Tausug: Bay

chavacano for house is casa, like the spanish for house...

24. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Slovenia
    Cro, Slo
    Hello to all,

House is any building, anywhere.

Home is the house, where we live. Could be: my house or my home.

I am going home:

Slovenian: Grem domov (Jaz grem domov)!

I am going home:

Croatian: Idem kući (house and not home)! Idem doma (what is in use in some villages)!

I am going home:

German: Ich gehe nach Hause! (again is house)

jana.bo

25. SerinusCanaria3075

SerinusCanaria3075 Senior Member

United States
    México, D.F. (Spanish)
    Sardinian:

Domo (Variants: Dommo, Dommu, Domu)
    Even though it ends in –o/-u it is feminine like in Latin: dŏmŭs.

Greek:

House: οικία [ikía], οίκος [íkos], σπίτι [spíti]
    Home: κατοικία [katoikía], οικογενειακή εστία [ikogeniakí estía]

The variants for house are used in different contexts (hopefully someone can tell us exactly where).

26. MarX Banned

Indonesian, Indonesia
    In Indonesian:

rumah

27. OldAvatar Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    domiciliu = residence
    locuinţă = dwelling

house is casă and that's it! ;)

28. MarX Banned

Indonesian, Indonesia
    In Indonesian tahanan means prisoner or captive.

I guess they are related because tahan means to hold, keep. So it probably developed to home in Tagalog.

29. Manx:

thie

30. Uzbek:

Uy

Turkmen:

Tam

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  31. Christo Tamarin

Christo Tamarin Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Bulgarian: къща, дом

32. bb3ca201 Senior Member

Toronto sa Chanada
    English/Scottish Gaelic, Canada
    Gaelic

House: taigh

33. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Ukrainian: дiм
    (dim, in the nominative and accusative cases, in others it would be дому (domu), дома (doma))

34. Erebos12345

Erebos12345 Senior Member

Toronto more or less
    Canadian English
    Chinese
    家 [jia1] home
    房子 [fang2 zi] house

35. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    хата, дім, будинок (hose); хижа, халупа (bad hose)

36. Dymn

Dymn Senior Member

Catalan:

house - casa (either a place where one lives, or a single-dwelling house, as opposed to pis "appartment")
    at home - a casa
    at my house - a casa meva
    at ...'s - a ca ... (especially in villages)
    home -
    llar (much more limited than in English, almost poetic)
    country house -
    masia
    housing - habitatge

37. Sardokan1.0

Sardokan1.0 Senior Member

Sardigna
    Sardu / Italianu
    Sardinian :

northern Sardinian (Logudorese, Nuorese) : domo -> plural "sas domos"
    southern Sardinian (Campidanese) : domu -> plural -> "is domus"

at home - in domo
    at my house - in domo mia/mea
    at ...'s - in domo de (it means that you are in that house); an domo de (a+in + domo de : it means that you are going to that house)

other related nouns :

dominariu - apartment block
    palattu (northern Sardinian) - palace
    palatzu (southern Sardinian) - palace
    masu - farmhouse
    cuile - sheperd's hut (Latin "cubile" - makeshift bed, refuge; same root of the English "cubicle", which derives from Cubiculus, diminutive of Cubile)

38. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    «Οικία» [iˈci.a] (fem.) < Classical «οἰκίᾱ» oi̯kíā (fem.) is the house as a building, in MoGr we use it either on doorbells or on mailboxes e.g. «Οικία Παπαδοπούλου» [iˈci.a pa.pa.ðɔˈpu.lu] --> Papadopoulos' house.

«Οίκος» [ˈi.kɔs] (masc.) < Classical «οἶκος» oî̯kŏs is in MoGr (i) the formal (Katharevousian) name of the built house, (ii) the household, (iii) a royal/imperial dynasty, e.g. «ο Οίκος των Αψβούργων» [ɔ ˈi.kɔs tɔn a.p͜sˈvur.ɣɔn] --> The House of Hapsburgs.
    Both «οἰκία, οἶκος» are from PIE *uei̯ḱ-/*uoi̯ḱ- house cf Skt. विश् (víś), settlement, dwelling-place, Lat. vīcus, small civilian settlement > Eng. vicinity; Proto-Slavic *vьsь, village > Cz./Svk. ves, Pol. wieś, OCS вьсь > BCS вас/vas, Slo. vas.

«Κατοικία» [ka.tiˈci.a] (fem.) < Classical «κατοικίᾱ» kătoi̯kíā («κατά» + οἶκος) is in MoGr the residence and what we use when referring to a dwelling place, an abode. Often when filling out application forms or other formal documents, we're asked about our «τόπος κατοικίας» [ˈtɔ.pɔs ka.tiˈci.as] --> place of residence.

«Οικογενειακή εστία» [i.kɔ.ʝe.ni.aˈci esˈti.a] (both fem.) --> family hearth is the poetic name of the family home, the household.
    «Ἑστίᾱ» Ηĕstíā in ancient Greek culture was the name of the goddess of domesticity and family (Lat. Vesta), the central altar in the middle of the house was the «ἑστίᾱ» hĕstíā (fem.), the focal point of the house, where a fire was always kept alive as an offering to her.

«Σπίτι» [ˈspi.ti] (neut.) is the generic name of the house/home/abode/dwelling place in MoGr, an aphetism of the Byzantine Gr. «ὁσπίτιον» ospítion < Lat. hospitium --> initially a dormitory-based accommodation especially in monasteries where pilgrims could find hospitality (hence the name), later in Byz. Gr. the dwelling place in general.