housecoat for men = ?

• panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There is no counterpart for men.
    There are two reasons for this.
    First, that men do not do housework.
    Second, that even if they did they would not think of wearing special clothes or covering their clothes with anything to protect them. We only think of that kind of thing after our best shirt is covered in engine oil, or our best suit in paint.

I'm joking, a bit, but I can think of no equivalent garment for men, and therefore no equivalent word.

MJSinLondon

English - UK (London)
    I wonder what you are envisaging as a 'housecoat'. As something worn around the bedroom and bathroom it can also be a 'dressing gown', although I admit this has a slightly old-fashioned ring to it. And men can wear dressing gowns.

But when Panjandrum is painting or mending his car, he should be wearing an overall.

Copyright

American English
    I wonder what you are envisaging as a 'housecoat'. As something worn around the bedroom and bathroom it can also be a 'dressing gown', although I admit this has a slightly old-fashioned ring to it. And men can wear dressing gowns.

But when Panjandrum is painting or mending his car, he should be wearing an overall.
    Overall in London, maybe, but definitely overalls in Kansas.

On a slightly different subject, I've discovered that once you look for coincidences, rather than ignoring them, you find them everywhere. I haven't thought of smoking jacket for a few decades now, but as soon as I suggested it, the next thing I did was open this thread and read message #4.

I do believe mplsray has put on his housecoat and gone out the wrong door. :D

Finally, proof that any coat can be a housecoat if your name is House.

Momerath

British English
    Would it be some sort of black silk number as worn by Ivor Novello/Noel Coward etc.?

If not it could only be an overall (as has been said, men don't wear anything special to for hoovering, washing up, etc.. No self-respecting man wears an apron, like James Dean's father in "Rebel Without a Cause")

Loob

English UK
    That was my reaction - that the equivalent of a housecoat was a dressing gown.

Mind you, I don't think I've ever worn a "housecoat". Though I am wearing a dressing gown at the moment.

Ooops sorry... Too Much Information:eek:

Day Dreamer

Canadian English
    The only other thing that might be considered would be a bathrobe.

A smoking jacket was a housecoat a man would wear around the house with a shirt beneath it. A bathrobe could be with or without a shirt.

BellaDancer

To me, the most generic and the most common terms are bathrobe and robe. Dressing gowns, housecoats and peignoirs are all robes. Women and men both wear robes or bathrobes.

A smoking jacket is something Noël Coward and his upper crust male characters wore.

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Dressing gown is sometimes uses in BE for a towelling bathrobe, and is something you throw on when you get out of bed to keep warm if the heating isn't working, as well as something you might put on when you get out of the shower before you put your clothes on, for example if the phone rings and you decide you want to answer it. Well that's how I use "dressing gown" anyhow, and it's a unisex garment (as demonstrated by the fact that I have been known to use the other half's dressing gown/bathrobe).

< Previous | Next >