household chores fall to me/take over household chores

< Previous | Next >

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
Hello,

1. My husband's been away all week, so all of the household chores have fallen to me.
2. My husband's been away all week, so I have taken over all of the household chores.

Is there any difference between No.1 and No.2 ?

fall to (someone or something)
1.To become someone's task or responsibility
fall to

• B.Onur

English & Turkish
    1. My husband's been away all week, so all of the household chores have fallen to me.
    2. My husband's been away all week, so I have taken over all of the household chores.
    Let me make a bit of change to the original phrases to make them sound more natural:

1- My husband's been away all week, so it fell to me to do all the household chores.
    2- My husband's been away all week, so I had to take over all the household chores.

There's almost no difference in meaning between the two.

Myridon

English - US
    The first one expresses the idea as something that happened to you (a burden fell on you), while the second one expresses it as something you actively did yourself (you took over).

Packard

USA, English
    The first one expresses the idea as something that happened to you (a burden fell on you), while the second one expresses it as something you actively did yourself (you took over).
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree. The first has the chores imposed upon you; the second had you willingly taking over the chores.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Is there any difference between No.1 and No.2 ?
    I'd say only one is truly natural in that context.

Because he's gone, I have to do his chores because no one else is around to do them.

Taking them over would imply to me an arrangement you had with him. But there's no arrangement. And It's not a permanent situation, which is also implied by "taking over".

< Previous | Next >