Hover over it with your mouse

Janey UK

Native speaker of British English
Ciao ragazzi, come si dice in italiano: hover over it (the thing in question) with your mouse?

I have no idea how to say this! All I can think of is: Si avvicinarlo con il mouse, which I'm sure isn't right.

Any suggestions?

Grazie, Janey x

• pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    I think that "sorvolare con il mouse" is used.

Bye,
    Renminds
    My apologies, Renminds, but "sorvolare con il mouse" sounds really weird to me. I think "sorvolare" doesn't fit in here at all.

In my opinion, giovannino's translation was really good: "passaci su/sopra col mouse".. I go for it!

Ciao :)

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Hi, Jane. But what do you exactly mean with 'hover over it': 'passare sopra a qualcosa' or 'fermarcisi sopra'? And are you sure that it is the mouse and not the pointer? :);)

Janey UK

Native speaker of British English
    Hi, Jane. But what do you exactly mean with 'hover over it': 'passare sopra a qualcosa' or 'fermarcisi sopra'? And are you sure that it is the mouse and not the pointer? :);)
    Good point Necsus! I now how a visual image of myself dangling the actual mouse over the word in question! So, out of interest, what is the word for 'pointer' in Italian? Il pointer? L'indicatore?

And when I say hover, I mean just generally approach with the pointer until an underlying message materialises...no clicking necessary!

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Good point Necsus! I now how a visual image of myself dangling the actual mouse over the word in question! So, out of interest, what is the word for 'pointer' in Italian? Il pointer? L'indicatore?

And when I say hover, I mean just generally approach with the pointer until an underlying message materialises...no clicking necessary!
    Well, then maybe 'posizionare il puntatore su...'

renminds

Italian - Italy
    Hi. :)

My apologies, Renminds, but "sorvolare con il mouse" sounds really weird to me. I think "sorvolare" doesn't fit in here at all.
    I know that it sounds weird, but I heard or read of it somewhere. (I don't think to have made it up myself, I really would like to :D).
    You should see it as a sort of metaphor, the pointer (puntatore) is always on top of other objects on the screen, so if you stretch the screen horizontally like a map, the pointer is always at a major altitude.

Speaking of figures of speech, I think that using "mouse" to indicate "pointer" is a synecdoche (sineddoche) and to define the action described by Janey UK it is possible use "soffermarsi", maybe more understandable than "sorvolare", that is similar to Necsus's "fermarsi sopra".

Example: "Soffermarsi con il mouse."

Bye,
    Renminds

Last edited:

pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    Hi. :)

I know that it sounds weird, but I heard or read of it somewhere. (I don't think to have made it up myself, I really would like to :D).
    You should see it as a sort of metaphor, the pointer (puntatore) is always on top of other objects on the screen, so if you stretch the screen horizontally like a map, the pointer is always at a major altitude.

Speaking of figures of speech, I think that using "mouse" to indicate "pointer" is a synecdoche (sineddoche) and to define the action described by Janey UK it is possible use "soffermarsi", maybe more understandable than "sorvolare", that is similar to Necsus's "fermarsi sopra".

Example: "Soffermarsi con il mouse."

Bye,
    Renminds
    "Soffermarsi con il mouse" is a really good translation, this time I totally agree with you, Renminds! ;)

Ciao :)

< Previous | Next >