How’s your <project> going?

paddycarol

Chinese, China
Here is a short conversation between a man and a woman, and I just wonder what "project" could probably mean? Does it mean paper or something else?
M: Hi, Melissa, how’s your project going? Have you thought about going to graduate school? Perhaps you can get into Harvard.
W: Everything is coming along really well. I’ve been thinking about graduate school. But I’ll talk to my tutor Dr. Gauthier first and see what she thinks.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In this context a project is probably a specific activity being undertaken by Melissa as part of her course. The project would involve some investigation or research, perhaps some experimentation, deep thought and analysis, development of conclusions, and presentation of results in the form of a project report.

Have I misunderstood the question?

cj427

It could be just about anything. Project is a nice, vague word - it basically means "something that someone is working on".

So, someone could be occupied with a project at work (designing a new ad campaign, reorganizing the filing system, writing a quarterly report, etc. etc.), or at home (replanting the garden, painting the living room, making preserves), or at school (writing a paper, preparing a presentation, doing an experiment).

You can use it for just about anything. In the context of this conversation, though, it seems likely that the project is academic. So it could be one of the suggestions I listed above, or something else entirely. Both of them already know what it is, so it's not necessary to be more specific - i.e. "How's your drama project going?" "How's your Rousseau project going?"

The only restriction, I suppose, is that a project must take at least a few days to complete. Doing the laundry and reading a book aren't projects, unless it is a spectacularly gigantic heap of laundry or an extremely long book.

paddycarol

Chinese, China
    It could be just about anything. Project is a nice, vague word - it basically means "something that someone is working on".

So, someone could be occupied with a project at work (designing a new ad campaign, reorganizing the filing system, writing a quarterly report, etc. etc.), or at home (replanting the garden, painting the living room, making preserves), or at school (writing a paper, preparing a presentation, doing an experiment).

You can use it for just about anything. In the context of this conversation, though, it seems likely that the project is academic. So it could be one of the suggestions I listed above, or something else entirely. Both of them already know what it is, so it's not necessary to be more specific - i.e. "How's your drama project going?" "How's your Rousseau project going?"

The only restriction, I suppose, is that a project must take at least a few days to complete. Doing the laundry and reading a book aren't projects, unless it is a spectacularly gigantic heap of laundry or an extremely long book.
    I totally understnad! Thanks a million!!!!!!:thumbsup: