how a social worker could work with a contemporary social problem

sophie_bga

Mandarin
I am preparing the application for a social work program. That program requires me to write a written statement in which I need to answer some questions, and I am not quite sure what this question is asking:

“Discuss how you believe a social worker could work with a contemporary social problem of interest to you.”

Should I write a plan that I think will work, to help with the problem, or should I write a explanation why the work that the social workers have been doing is helping this problem?

A plan will be like this:

I am interested in social problem A, and I think in order to help with problem A, a social worker could work in this way:
1. Social worker can colaborate with families, provide resources;
2. Social worker can get help from universities and education institutes, make people aware more about problem A;
3. Social worker can ...

An explanation will be like this:

I am interested in social problem A. I think, the work that social workers are doing nowadays, could contribute to solving this problem or advancing people’s understanding on this problem because:
1. Their works are helping families to feel safer and more comfident;
2. Their works are making more and more people aware of the problem;
3. Their works are helping the people to become healthier.

Thank you soooo much!

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Both approaches seem reasonable to me, Sophie. The first approach is a little briefer and more direct. The second approach takes a little more time for you to arrive at the point where you begin discussing what you might want to do. I would probably take the first approach if I needed to answer that question.

sophie_bga

Mandarin
    Both approaches seem reasonable to me, Sophie. The first approach is a little briefer and more direct. The second approach takes a little more time for you to arrive at the point where you begin discussing what you might want to do. I would probably take the first approach if I needed to answer that question.
    Hi owlman 5,

Thank you so much for replying me and providing detailed explaination!:thumbsup::)

I just edited the thread when you replied me, as I realized the original one didn't explain very clearly. Let me know if you have further suggestions!

Thank you so much again!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

owlman5

English-US
    The additional details don't change my opinion, Sophie. Both approaches seem reasonable. The first approach seems a little more direct. If I had to answer that question, I would probably choose the direct approach. There probably isn't any advantage in delaying the moment when you begin discussing what you would do in your effort to address the problem.

sophie_bga

Mandarin
    The additional details don't change my opinion, Sophie. Both approaches seem reasonable. The first approach seems a little more direct. If I had to answer that question, I would probably choose the direct approach. There probably isn't any advantage in delaying the moment when you begin discussing what you would do in your effort to address the problem.
    Hi owlman5, thank you so much for the reply and help! I agree with you!

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    I agree with owlman5. The second example you gave doesn't really explain "how you believe a social worker could work with a contemporary social problem." It reads more like a discussion of how the results of their work improves people's situations, but it doesn't explain what it is that social workers do specifically in order to fix or improve a problem.

Remember that the admissions committee is not going to study applications in great depth in order to figure out what applicants mean in their essays. You need to write clearly with specific ideas and examples.

sophie_bga

Mandarin
    I agree with owlman5. The second example you gave doesn't really explain "how you believe a social worker could work with a contemporary social problem." It reads more like a discussion of how the results of their work improves people's situations, but it doesn't explain what it is that social workers do specifically in order to fix or improve a problem.

Remember that the admissions committee is not going to study applications in great depth in order to figure out what applicants mean in their essays. You need to write clearly with specific ideas and examples.
    Hi Roxxxannne,

Thank you so much for the reply! I am writing the application statement, and your suggestions are really helpful!!:thumbsup::)

< Previous | Next >