How a younger man should address an unknown woman

< Previous | Next >

RusEng

Russian
Say, if she's 40-50 years old and it's his first encounter with her. Shoud he call her m'am, or Mrs., or maybe Ms.?

• london calling

UK English
    I have been addressed as ma'am in the southern US (very quaint, I thought). Otherwise, it would be used with the Queen in the UK: I believe you have to start off with Your Majesty and then use 'Ma'am'. In a formal situation in the UK I may be addressed as madam (but it can sound very sarcastic).

I personally would stick to Mrs. plus her surname: if you do not know it, a 'Pleased to meet you, Mrs.....?? should do the trick.

RusEng

Russian
    I personally would stick to Mrs. plus her surname: if you do not know it, a 'Pleased to meet you, Mrs.....?? should do the trick.
    Hello, london calling. Thank you for your reply.
    The thing is, the younger man doesn't really want to get acquiantied with here, he just needs to sort some things out. If we presume that the guy is a policeman, and the lady is crossing a road where she shouldn't, would he still call her Mrs.?

london calling

UK English
    . If we presume that the guy is a policeman, and the lady is crossing a road where she shouldn't, would he still call her Mrs.?
    No. If he were a polite young policeman I would expect him to say Madam in the UK (polite and formal are two things which often coincide) and Ma'am in the US. I can however imagine an impolite US cop shouting out "Hey lady!" and a British one shouting out "Hey you!":D

RusEng

Russian
    No. If he were a polite young policeman I would expect him to say Madam in the UK (polite and formal are two things which often coincide) and Ma'am in the US. I can however imagine an impolite US cop shouting out "Hey lady!" and a British one shouting out "Hey you!":D

Lol :D. Thanks a lot for explaning this to me.

< Previous | Next >