How could one say Yes? for years and years?

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover( para.45) by Lawrence (the University of Adelaide,here):

She (Connie) was to be content to weave a steady life with him, all one fabric, but perhaps brocaded with the occasional flower of an adventure. But how could she know what she would feel next year? How could one ever know? How could one say Yes? for years and years?
"Yes" is normally an answer to a general question rather than a special question. So "yes" here must have a special meaning the sentence. What's the meaning please?

THANK you in advance

Last edited:
  • longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you. And sorry that I forgot to post the link.
    From the rest of the quote you've given us here, I would guess that this person has received a proposal of marriage.
    The sentences directly ahead of the quotation are:Was it just that? Was it actually her destiny to go on weaving herself into his life all the rest of her life? Nothing else?
    And more previously, Connie's husband, Clifford, advised her to find another lover to have a baby, and then asked: "Don’t you agree?"
    In that case, what does "yes" anwer please?

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    I think the issue is whether she should say yes to his proposal explained in the last paragraph but one: namely that she should stick with him, but maybe have affairs and even children with other men. This is what she would like to do now; but how does she know that she won't feel differently in a year or two?

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you very much. But I'm still a little confused. Could you please rephrase "How could one say Yes? for years and years?" please?
    I try to do it first: people(maybe only Clifford) could not continue to say "yes"(meaning people say:yes, you should stick with Clifford and have affairs with others next year) ? And should I repeat the affairs year after year?

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    Come to think of it, it is not just a general proposal: there is a specific question to which she might answer yes:
    And you and I can do that together . . . don’t you think? . . . if we adapt ourselves to the necessities, and at the same time weave the adaptation together into a piece with our steadily-lived life. Don’t you agree?’

< Previous | Next >