How do we use"you are welcome."

stanley1111

Chinese
I heard from some native speakers that we use "you are welcome," to reply to others' "Thank you" with the precondition that we share equal social status or even higher social status.
Could more native speaker confirm this for me?

• lingobingo

English - England
    I don’t think social status has anything to do with it. And I’ve certainly come across people on this forum saying they dislike the expression “You’re welcome” and would never use it themselves. My own response is usually “My pleasure”, said with a :).

sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum,. stanley111.

I can speak only for AE, but we say "you're welcome," or something similar, to anybody who says "thanks," "thank you," or etc.

We can make it more emphatic by saying "you are welcome" or "you are more than welcome," etc., but social status has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

[cross-posted]

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I heard from some native speakers that we use "you are welcome," to reply to others' "Thank you" with the precondition that we share equal social status or even higher social status.
    Could more native speaker confirm this for me?
    There are a number of existing threads about how to respond to someone thanking you. You may find these helpful:

Replies to 'thank you' [you're welcome, etc.]
    Thanks... You're welcome. Don't mention it. No problem. ...
    you're welcome or no problem

< Previous | Next >