How do you bend/twist/rotate/spin the ball???

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
How do you bend/twist/rotate/spin the ball???

Which one fits here ????

Let's say a soccer player shots a free kick so if he wants to confuse the goalie he _______ the ball.

Thanks.

• . 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Soccer players bend it like Beckam but they must cause the ball to spin before it will bend.
    To kick a soccer ball in an offset manner directs more force to one side of the ball and will cause it to spin off the boot and when that spinning ball travels through the air this spinning causes the ball to bend in a curve independent of the gravity curve.

Kevman

USA English
    In billiards it is "put English on" the ball.
    (Sorry, that seemed like an appropriate comment for this forum...:))

...but yes, "bend" is the best term for soccer.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    roniy said:
    so if he wants to confuse the goalie he _______ the ball.
    Well, if it's Diego Maradona — he handles the ball! :D

"Bend" is the usual verb — "he bent the ball around the wall and into the corner of the net".
    The kick is known as "a banana kick" for obvious reasons.

roniy

sorry to jump the thread after a long time but I forgot this thread and I just want to say thank you all for your help and to ask a question:
    when do you use "swing a ball" ?
    I've just heard something with "swing" and ball
    but I am not sure I've heard the right thing.

can you use it insted "bend" in soccer ? or maybe this term is for baseball?

swyves

UK English, Living in Peru
    In cricket, the term for making a ball curve in mid-air is "swing". Spin is making it spin along the axis of flight or the side-to-side axis, so that it "turns" unexpectedly on hitting the ground for the bounce.

roniy

swyves said:
    In cricket, the term for making a ball curve in mid-air is called swing.
    Maybe for this I will need an American :)

becuase I have heared that in the US and I don't think people here talk about cricket.
    Or perhaps you have any other sport that swing is used there ????

Thanks.

swyves

UK English, Living in Peru
    I've heard of a "curveball" in baseball. And to some sports use the term "swerve"?

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Are you sure you didn't hear the phrase "swing at the ball?" In baseball that would mean the batter tried to hit the ball (he swung his bat at it).

roniy

foxfirebrand said:
    Are you sure you didn't hear the phrase "swing at the ball?" In baseball that would mean the batter tried to hit the ball (he swung his bat at it).
    yes, right probably this is the context.
    But i don't understand one thing. every hit of a batter would call "swing at the ball"
    ??
    Thanks.

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    roniy said:
    But i don't understand one thing. every hit of a batter would call "swing at the ball"
    That's right, the batter swings (the bat) at the ball and, hopefully, hits the ball. However, swing is often used in the context of "swing and miss", where, the batter did swing the bat at the ball but didn't hit it, i.e. he/she missed. If the ball was not hit, wether the batter swung or not may determine the "balls vs. strikes" count for this batter.

For example, if a batter swung at the ball but missed, this is counted as "strike" -- a point that goes in favor of the pitcher. 3 strikes means the batter is "out", i.e. he basically failed in this "at-bat" (although there are exceptions!).

roniy

Thank you very much papillon.
    now all the subject is clear to me :)

Thank you all guys:)

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    roniy said:
    ??
    Well, I did say "tried to hit," but I left the question of whether he succeeded open. We tend to think of a swing as a "swing and a miss," but a batter can take a wild swing at a curveball and tip it foul-- is that a hit?

If a batter swings at the ball, he usually misses. If he hits the ball, he usually hits it foul or it is caught, or he is thrown out-- hitting the ball and "getting a hit" are two different things.

In baseball a hit occurs when you hit the ball and get on base without being put out. Swinging the bat is a very common activity, especially if you include "practice swings"-- where the batter steps out of the box and swings (for example while the catcher walks out to the mound to talk to the pitcher).

So-- you can swing without hitting, but you can't hit without swinging. So when we talk about hits, we don't usually bother to mention the swing involved.

I hope there was an answer to your question in there somewhere, roniy.

If not, feel free to ask again. You always keep trying to get a clear answer and fully understand, and I enjoy that quality in you. Others get tired or give up, and they don't learn as much as they could.

roniy

foxfirebrand said:
    Well, I did say "tried to hit," but I left the question of whether he succeeded open. We tend to think of a swing as a "swing and a miss," but a batter can take a wild swing at a curveball and tip it foul-- is that a hit?

If a batter swings at the ball, he usually misses. If he hits the ball, he usually hits it foul or it is caught, or he is thrown out-- hitting the ball and "getting a hit" are two different things.

In baseball a hit occurs when you hit the ball and get on base without being put out. Swinging the bat is a very common activity, especially if you include "practice swings"-- where the batter steps out of the box and swings (for example while the catcher walks out to the mound to talk to the pitcher).

So-- you can swing without hitting, but you can't hit without swinging. So when we talk about hits, we don't usually bother to mention the swing involved.

I hope there was an answer to your question in there somewhere, roniy.

If not, feel free to ask again. You always keep trying to get a clear answer and fully understand, and I enjoy that quality in you. Others get tired or give up, and they don't learn as much as they could.
    That's something amazing . I couldn't ask for a clearer answer. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help and everybody's in the forum.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Swing bowling is a very common Cricket tactic.
    It is used when the ball has softened a little and is a little rough and the bowler has had time to create an imbalance in the ball by only polishing one side of the ball so that the ball develops a rough side and a smooth side.
    The tactic is especially effective in humid conditions and is mainly used in medium pace bowling.
    The bowler holds the ball in such a fashion that when the ball is released it spins back along the axis of the flight of the ball.
    This causes the ball to float through the air in a basically stable motion with the rough and smooth side of the ball having different drag from the wind.
    The ball will then swing through the flight and appear to the batter to move sideways through the air. (If the bowler is particularly accurate the ball will land on its seam and bounce sideways as well but this is not the swing).
    Sorry to be boring but that's cricket.

gaer

US-English
    papillon said:
    I think the closest baseball equivalent to "bend" is "put a spin", as in
    " a knuckleballer tends to put a lot of spin on the ball..."
    Actually, a knuckball has no spin, or is not supposed to. That's the whole point. The idea is that the ball itself, because of its "seams", is thrown this way and that way by the air. That's why no one knows for sure what the ball is going to do, including the pitcher. Have you ever seen the size of the mits used by catchers who are trying to catch knuckleballs? :)

Another word used for spin is "kick". For instance, a serve in tennis that has a lot of top-spin "kicks up" (and also take off faster in the direction of the receiver) and is sometimes called a "kick-serve".

Gaer

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >