How do you do? : Do you still use the expression?

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
Hello, Teachers,
Good morning! How do you do?

Do you native speakers still use the expression "How do you do?" in your day-to-day speech? I think it is very old fashioned and is not really used much.
Please enlighten me.

Thank you very much.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    That's what I say when I meet someone in a business or professional setting. It doesn't sound out of date to me.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I consider "How do you do?" outdated in American English, sorry to say.

This is just my perspective.

(48 years old---moi.)

OGOlly

English, America
    Around here - Idaho and the Northwestern U.S., the expression is, "How are you?" Yes. It is used a lot. No one expects a really true answer and no one gives a really true answer. It is sometimes used as an euphemistic phrase, more often as a metaphoric phrase. It may be "outdated," (I think so) but it is very popular.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please notice that Greyfriar and Florentia are talking about 'How do you do?' in response to an introduction. The first thread linked-to above includes a discussion of this situation.

What you say then is likely to be different from what you might say when you encounter a friend or acquaintance, which is discussed in both threads.

The word 'meet' is ambiguous in English, since it can refer to either situation.

I am closing this thread. Further comments or questions may be added to the linked threads above.

Cagey,
    moderator.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >