How do you do it?

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Does the phrase "how do you do it?" meaning "how do you succeed in doing it?" (= how is it possible for you to do what you do? - it is surprising!) sound natural/correct in the examples I made below?

a. John: Anna, you work all day, go to college at night and take care of 3 children. How do you do it?
b. Barbara: Michael, you always get the best grades in class. How do you do it?

Thank you in advance!

• e2efour

UK English
    It sounds perfectly natural to me.
    It doesn't have to express surprise. It can just be an expression of wonder or puzzlement or an expression of a genuuine desire to know how someone does it.

handsomechuck

American English (NYC region)
    Hello everyone,

Does the phrase "how do you do it?" meaning "how do you succeed in doing it?" (= how is it possible for you to do what you do? - it is surprising!) sound natural/correct in the examples I made below?

a. John: Anna, you work all day, go to college at night and take care of 3 children. How do you do it?
    b. Barbara: Michael, you always get the best grades in class. How do you do it?

Thank you in advance!
    Yes, that is completely natural. Sometimes we also use the verb "manage" with or without an object to express the idea of achieving something with effort. Example: John: Anna, you work all day, go to college at night and take care of 3 children. How on earth do you manage (it/that)?

< Previous | Next >