How do you do?

learner2008

London , Hndi
[moderator's note: these posts were split off an Italian-English thread. The question is about English usage only, so it has been moved to the appropriate forum - English Only.]

Hello,
I would like to know when I am meeting a person for the first time(officially) if I asK how do you do, the person to whom I ask has to reply how do you do(=Pleasure to meet you),after that I have to introduce with my name or can I ask how do you feel or how are you?etc Which is the polite way?

• Paulfromitaly

Italian
    Hello,
    I would like to know when I am meeting a person for the first time(officially) if I asK how do you do, the person to whom I ask has to reply how do you do(=Pleasure to meet you),after that I have to introduce with my name or can I ask how do you feel or how are you?etc Which is the polite way?
    Hello and welcome.
    Are you asking how you'd introduce yourself in Italian?

learner2008

London , Hndi
    Sir,
    I would like to know the English usage ..not in Italian.After using how do you do to other personal in formal way how can I continue the conversation if the other person say how do you do to me. Can I ask how are you? whether it may leads to non -formal?

'How do you do?' and 'How are you?' are purely rhetorical questions and do not call for an answer, except for 'I'm fine, thanks.'

To continue the conversation you could comment on the weather, the occasion or venue where you are meeting, or the mutual acquaintance who introduced you.

Rover

Cathy Rose

United States English
    "How do you do?" is a bit of an idiom when meeting someone. It's different from "How are you?" in the sense that it does not require an answer when used as an introductory statement. However, I don't like it. I'm a native speaker, and it confuses me. My instinct is to answer the question. Personally, I prefer "I'm pleased to meet you" because it's less confusing. Then the conversation can go on from there, usually to one's health or the weather, or some other small talk.

< Previous | Next >