How do you feel <to betray your race?>

< Previous | Next >
In the movie, Avatar,

Miles Quaritch asked Sully a question, "Hey Sully, how's it feel to betray your own race?"

for the same meaning, Can I say "How do you feel to betray your own race?"
if not, please in detail explain away why not.

Thank your so much

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    No, you can't, I'm afraid.

I can't explain in detail, but the basic problem is that we don't use that construction say how our actions have affected us.
    You can feel in some way about betraying your own race.
    To betray your own race may cause you to feel guilty [sad, proud].
    But you don't feel in some way "to betray your own race", at least not with that intended meaning.

We do say things like, "He must have felt desperate to betray his own race." In this case, the phrase "to betray his own race" gives us the result of his feeling. The feeling is the cause.

Thank you for your kind explanation,

But even with your informative advice, I am a little confused at below

We do say things like, "He must have felt desperate to betray his own race." In this case, the phrase "to betray his own race" gives us the result of his feeling. The feeling is the cause.
    Because as none native speaker, I understand that, the phrase "to betray his own race" give us the reason why he felt desperate, and his feeling "desperate" is the result after this action.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, I can see that my explanation is unclear. I'll try again.

What caused him to betray his own race?
    He must have felt desperate. [=Feeling desperate was the cause.]
    He must have felt desperate to betray his own race.

I don't know whether that helps.
    Now I can think of other possible interpretations. :eek:
    I wish I hadn't started this; It's getting more and more complicated. :p
    I'll stop with this one, and simply go back to my assertion that the construction doesn't have the meaning you want.

Uriel-

American English
    "How do you feel, betraying your race?" is how you would say that. English often uses the -ing form where other languages use the infinitive.

:) really thanks
    my last question here

Example)
    I feel sad to betray my own race
    in this situation, my feeling "sad" causes me to betray my own race?

If so,
    How can I say for the meaning "to betray my own race causes me to feel sad" ??

Uriel-

American English
    I feel sad betraying my own race, or, Betraying my own race makes me (feel) sad.

They mean the same thing, and in both the betrayal causes the sadness, not the other way around.

< Previous | Next >