How do you verbally say the UK emergency number 999?

< Previous | Next >

TrevOrr

American English
Is it common to say "treble 9" or just 9-9-9? Or Nine ninety-nine? Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In many other situations three nines in a row would be treble nine, but not in this special case.

In the US one would say nine one one and not nine eleven, right? I mean even before 2001.

ribran

English - American
    In many other situations three nines in a row would be treble nine, but not in this special case.

In the US one would say nine one one and not nine eleven, right? I mean even before 2001.
    The service was originally advertised as "nine-eleven," so it is possible to find older Americans who still call it that.

Last edited:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I agree that we say nine nine nine. There was a television programme here (featuring the police) called Triple Nine. (Mentioned here.) I don't hear people saying 'triple nine', but it does turn up in google.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Yeah, when I was a kid there was a programme on called 999 (wiki), and if I remember correctly the credits had "NINE NINE NINE" in them.
    If you YouTube "999 tv programme" and click the lightning/glider episode you can see the BBC person introducing the programme saying "And now... nine nine nine with Michaal Buerk".

My god... now it seems like the weirdest name ever, and quite unusual.
    I mean, I know it's right, but like when you repeat "spoon" or "fork" over and over, it just sounds really weird and unnatural.

But pretty much standard usage in the UK.

< Previous | Next >