How do you wear a baseball cap?

Wishfull

Banned
Japanese
Hi.
A baseball cap has a sun visor. We usually wear a baseball cap in the position of the sun visor forward. Though a catcher usually wears a baseball cap in the position of the sun visor backward.
I was once advised not to do the sun-visor-backward style, because it was very bad manner.

How do natives express wearing a baseball cap forward or backward?

And how is he wearing when someone says;
He is wearing a baseball cap the right way round. ?

Thank you.

• Uncle Bob

British English
    Hello,
    That's right.
    You could also say:
    He's got the baseball cap on the right/wrong way round.
    (By the way, it is "bad manners")

Wishfull

Banned
    Japanese
    Thank you for your helps.
    But I still think I don't understand correctly, not yet.
    Is there some kind of word play here?

He's got the baseball cap on the right way round.
    = He is wearing the baseball cap in good manners, right?

He's got the baseball cap on the wrong way round.
    =He's wearing the baseball cap back-to-front.
    =He's wearing the baseball cap in bad manners, right?

Maybe I misunderstood the menaing of right/wrong way round.
    The "round" here means "rounding 180 degrees", right?
    Why do you use GET ON here?

I wish a little more help. Thank you.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi.
    A baseball cap has a sun visor. We usually wear a baseball cap in the position of with the sun visor forward. Though a catcher usually wears a baseball cap with the sun visor backward.

I was once advised not to do the sun-visor-backward style, because it was very bad manners.
    That was nonsense advice.

How do natives express wearing a baseball cap forward or backward?

And how is he wearing when someone says;
    He is wearing a baseball cap the right way round. ?

Thank you.
    AE speakers generally do not say anything about it, as both styles are common. Adolescents, for reasons of fashion and custom, often wear their hats with the visor facing back. If forced to describe the position of a baseball cap, I would say (1) She's wearing a baseball cap/hat. [This would be for the forward-facing visor.], (2) She's wearing a baseball hat with the visor facing backwards.

panjandrum

English-Ireland (top end)
    I think you should separate how to describe the wearing of the baseball cap from the question of good/bad manners.

He's wearing his baseball cap back to front.
    He's wearing his baseball cap the wrong way round.
    These assume that the speaker and the person spoken to share the same understanding of back/front or right/wrong way round with respect to the wearing of baseball caps. For me, visor at the front is normal, so wearing the visor at the back is back to front, the wrong way round.

I have no idea whether anyone, anywhere, considers it to be "bad manners" to wear a baseball cap in any particular style.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Is it only the pitcher who wears the hat back-to-front in professional matches, Cuchu?

It's good to have the advice of an expert on this.

I confess that I have no idea what you mean by back-to-front.

All baseball players wear their hats with the visor over their foreheads, shielding their eyes from the sun, when batting. When playing the field, all but the catcher wear their hats with the visor shielding the eyes. The catcher turns the hat around to permit the placement of a heavy face mask on his or her head. That same catcher turns the hat around when batting.

I'm sure that this properly reflects the fine traditions of rounders, perhaps with some regional evolution. The visors have grown over the decades, as have the players. Evolution?

1896 baseball cap
    Side view

Modern baseball cap

Myridon

English - US
    The catcher wears his baseball cap backwards because he wears a protective face mask (somewhat like a goalie) while he is catching which wouldn't fit over the bill of the cap. Other than the catcher, real baseball players generally wear their caps the normal way to keep the light out of their eyes.
    Some years ago, it inexplicably became fashionable to wear certain types of caps backwards (baseball caps, kangaroo caps, ...). I believe that it is officially out of fashion (at least I know many people who would agree with me on that), but you still see people who think it is "cool". It has never been "bad manners" to wear a baseball cap backwards, but it is bad manners to wear it indoors.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    The catcher wears his baseball cap backwards because he wears a protective face mask (somewhat like a goalie) while he is catching which wouldn't fit over the bill of the cap. Other than the catcher, real baseball players generally wear their caps the normal way to keep the light out of their eyes.
    Some years ago, it inexplicably became fashionable to wear certain types of caps backwards (baseball caps, kangaroo caps, ...). I believe that it is officially out of fashion (at least I know many people who would agree with me on that), but you still see people who think it is "cool". It has never been "bad manners" to wear a baseball cap backwards, but
    it is bad manners to wear it indoors.

Try telling that to Mainers in the winter, and you will see a genuine display of "manners". :p

Packard

USA, English
    There is a young man that works in (owns, I believe) the bagel store I visit in the mornings I go to work. He wears his baseball hat (Yankees) with the brim to the rear.

Each morning I greet him the same way,"Still got your hat on backwards, eh?"

(I'm consistent, albeit annoying bastard.)

Wishfull

Banned
    Japanese
    Some years ago, it inexplicably became fashionable to wear certain types of caps backwards (baseball caps, kangaroo caps, ...). I believe that it is officially out of fashion (at least I know many people who would agree with me on that), but you still see people who think it is "cool". It has never been "bad manners" to wear a baseball cap backwards, but it is bad manners to wear it indoors.

Hi.
    Thank you. My understanding had been just like you until some years ago, when I heard that we should avoid doing that style.
    I had to apologize that the expression "bad manners" used in the original post might not be the correct term.
    It is about "racial discrimination".

He said that racially discriminated boys often wore a baseball cap backwards. And "decent" Caucasian parents disciplined their children not to wear backwards.
    Not "bad manners" but "feeling some bad emotion concerning to discrimination".
    ///////

OK. I think it is the matter of racial discrimination and not the scope of this forum.
    Thank you for your advices.

Last edited:

JillEliza

English (USA)
    In America, we don't say "the right/wrong way round." That sound British. We might say, "The right/wrong way around."

It's no bad manners to wear the hat backwards. It isn't offensive. It just looks silly. It's what used to be "cool" for young people. It looks juvenile or extremely casual. Some even wear it off to one side. An adult would not do that.

We don't say "back-to-front" where I am from either.

"She wears her baseball cap backwards." Is how I would describe the visor being in the back of her head.

I think that "racial" idea might be overly generalized or overly regionalized. If I saw a white kid or a black kid or a Hispanic kid or an Asian kid wearing a hat backwards I wouldn't think he was trying to look like any other race or offend any other race. I would think he was trying to look "cool" or look like a punk and doing a poor job of it!

Wishfull

Banned
    Japanese
    Thank you very much, JillEliza, for your detailed explanation.
    I got it.

So it was his own idea, which might not be the standard one.