How do your friends compare with the people in the article

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

This sentence is from an article in which there are five different people. At the bottom of the article are some questions for the readers and this is one of the questions:

"How do your friends compare with the people in the article."

Thoughts and context: This is an article in a textbook which is designed for the learners who are learning English as there second language. The sentence is used to ask the readers to write five sentences to compare themselves with the five readers. I think the sentence is not natural but I don't know how to modify it. Anyway, how about the sentence I changed:

"How do your friends compare themselves with the people in the article."

• heypresto

English - England
    The original sentence is asking you to compare your friends with the people in the article.

Your sentence is asking you to ask your friends how they compare themselves to the people in the article.

Sun14

Chinese
    The original sentence is asking you to compare your friends with the people in the article.

Your sentence is asking you to ask your friends how they compare themselves to the people in the article.
    I don't understand because we always say this this way:

How do your think your friend compare themselves with the people in the article?

Sun14

Chinese
    What makes you think we always say it this way? 'This way' and the original question have two different meanings - which I explained in post #2.
    Maybe I was taught to use it this way. Because if we use "do", "your friend" must be the subject but your said "the listener" was the subject.

How do friend(subject) like the trip?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "How do your friends like the trip?" is fine. So is ""How do your friends compare with the people in the article."

That doesn't mean, however, that "How do your friends compare with...?" means the same thing as "How do your friends compare themselves with...?" As heypresto has told you, it doesn't.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    The question is perfect as it is, inviting the learner to write some sentences about the people in the text, adding observations about differences or similarities with the learner's own friends.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Sun, "compare" has been used as an intransitive verb (a verb that doesn't take an object) there. It has the following meaning (meaning 4 from WR dictionary) in the sentence:

4. to be worthy of comparison;
    be held equal

Dekker's plays cannot compare with Shakespeare's.

< Previous | Next >