<how hard or easy it is> or <how hard it is>

Roundhouse

Bengali
In the following sentence, is it redundant to write "or easy"? Would writing "how hard it is" be enough?

The regional unemployment rate alone does not really say any thing about how hard or easy it is for a particular worker to find new employment in a given region.

Here is some context:

Region A: Unemployment rate 7% (it is assumed that it is not hard for workers to find a job in this region)
Region B: Unemployment rate 9% (it is assumed that it is hard for workers to find a job in this region)
Region C: Unemployment rate 12% (it is assumed that it is extremely hard for workers to find a job in this region)

Many people object to writing "I am wondering whether or not I should ask her out". They prefer "I am wondering whether I should ask her out".

• lingobingo

English - England
    I would not change “hard or easy” in your sentence. If you just say that it doesn’t tell us anything about how hard it is (for anyone, not just any particular person?) to find a job, you risk giving the impression that you think the figures say something about how easy it is.

< Previous | Next >