how I had it together.

< Previous | Next >

Vanloon

Hindi
Transcript | This American Life

They were like the people who were astray and you know, I had a lot of big ideas about how I had it together. And I was doing it wrong too. And even though I knew better, even though I used to sit there, imagining myself near Dr. Joy Browne, I know what she would say, but I would feel better if she were here to say it.

What does 'how I had it together' mean here?
Thanks a lot!!

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    how I had it together. (colloquial) -> I was coping well with it

(PS
    I have no idea what "it" is, because you give no context.)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I have no idea what "it" is, because you give no context.)
    I don't think the "it" in "having it together" is the same "it" as that in "coping with it".
    I'd think that the former refers to some quality of the speaker, like perhaps his own mind (or his "act", as in "Get your act together, man!" -> "Get it together!"), while the latter clearly refers to some unspecified but external problem.
    I note that the text also uses the phrase "I'll get my life together".

Vanloon

Hindi
    I don't think the "it" in "having it together" is the same "it" as that in "coping with it".
    I'd think that the former refers to some quality of the speaker, like perhaps his own mind (or his "act", as in "Get your act together, man!" -> "Get it together!"), while the latter clearly refers to some unspecified but external problem.
    I note that the text also uses the phrase "I'll get my life together".
    Thank you very much for your detail explanation but not very clear yet... So..it(how I had it together) means 'I'll get my life together'?

< Previous | Next >