How is the footballer's surname "Promes" pronounced?

• Terwexel

nederlands
    Hello,

This surname is by no means exclusively Dutch. However, I've personally always heard it pronounced with a long 'o'. So as in the first one of your suggestions, I think.

But it could easily be that the short 'o' can also be heard. We have for instance the word "promenade' (I don't know the phonetic spelling) which is often pronounced with a short 'o'.at least in the Netherlands. I don't know why this difference exists. Maybe someone else does.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    First of all, I have never heard of this man so I don't know how is name is pronounced.
    We have for instance the word "promenade' (I don't know the phonetic spelling) which is often pronounced with a short 'o'.at least in the Netherlands.
    And in Belgium too.

Terwexel

nederlands
    I can't tell, to be honest. One needs more instances where he pronounces his last name. It sounds like somewhere in between short and long.

LoveVanPersie

Mandarin, Hakka
    Wikipedia says "Weakly stressed long vowels may also be shortened without any significant reduction in vowel quality. For example, politie (phonemically /poːˈlitsi/) may be pronounced [poˈli(t)si], [pəˈli(t)si] or even [ˈpli(t)si]."
    Do you think it is a case of it?

Terwexel

nederlands
    So the weakly stressed long 'o' becomes a schwa or dissappears. But it doesn't become a short 'o'. In the video his pronounciation of the 'o' isn't a schwa I think.

Terwexel

nederlands
    I've listened to it again. It sounds like a long 'o' to me now. Maybe pronounced a bit 'in the back of his mouth' (I don't know the appropriate term). I'm not familar enough with phonetics to confidently answer your specific question.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >