How is VAT going up going to help.

< Previous | Next >

atsamo

Polish
I've come across a sentence in The Independent (a reader's comment):

"How is VAT going up going to help."

I find it a bit cumbersome. It seems to sound as a question so the question mark would be in place here, but that's all I can do to improve this. What troubles me is the sentence wording. I wonder whether native speakers share my uneasiness about it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    Sometimes we use repetition to good advantage -- and here I find it rather interesting.

Is this a headline for a "letter to the editor"? If so, it's the paper itself that creates these headlines.

atsamo

Polish
    Sometimes we use repetition to good advantage -- and here I find it rather interesting.

Is this a headline for a "letter to the editor"? If so, it's the paper itself that creates these headlines.
    Hi Copyright,

This is a sentence taken from a paragraph of a reader's comment to the newspaper article:

"How is VAT going up going to help. Most people will not have any extra income to pay it, In fact George is saying that 1 million public sector jobs are to Go. That is even less money to be spent. As one can only spend what one has. Things cost more , just have to buy less."

Copyright

American English
    Thanks for the context... I still rather like it. The alternative is the much more usual How is an increase in VAT going to help?

< Previous | Next >