how it figures in your story

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "how it figures in your story" refer to "how it appears in your story"?

Can you explain what the “default mode network” is, and how it figures in your story?

One of the most interesting early findings of recent psychedelic research is that activity in the “default mode network” falls off sharply during the psychedelic experience. This network is a critical hub in the brain that links parts of the cerebral cortex to deeper and older structures involved in memory and emotion.

-Scientific American

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Barque

Tamil
    No. "Figure out" means to reason out something or come to a conclusion using reasoning. Here, "figure" means "appear". But the question as a whole doesn't just refer to the default mode network making an appearance. It asks about how it makes an appearance, or how it's treated in the story.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Yes. Of course I've browsed the definitions of "figure" before posting the thread. The result is that I chose "appear" for "figure."

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think the meaning in context is slightly different than that.

Can you explain what the “default mode network” is, and how it figures in your story?

Can you explain what the "default mode network" is, and what its importance is in your story?
    More naturally:
    Can you explain what the "default mode network" is, and its place/importance in your story?

In other words, why was it included. What part does it play in the things you're talking about. What does it add to our understanding.

Does "how it figures in your story" refer to "how why it appears in your story"?

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    You're welcome. Another way to say it would be "and how does it fit in your story?"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >