How many billion(s) of people are there in the world now?

brian&me

Chinese - China
How many billions of people are there in the world now?

(from a textbook)

I think the ‘billions’ should be ‘billion’.

What do you say?

Many thanks in advance.

• VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    No. You use "billion" after a number: "Three/ten/etc billion people". In other cases you use "billions" (if it's more than a billion).

Barque

Tamil
    No, "billions" is correct. You need "billions" to go with "How many" which implies there are multiples (plural) of a billion people in the world.

User With No Name

English (U.S.)
    No, "billions" is correct. You need "billions" to go with "How many" which implies there are multiples (plural) of a billion people in the world.
    I agree that it's "billions," but I'm not sure about this explanation. To me, the key is that it says "of people," so "billions" is a noun.

"How many billion people are there in the world?" would also be correct, where "how many" no longer refers to "billions" but to "people."

Cross-posted with @sound shift.

Barque

Tamil
    I agree that it's "billions," but I'm not sure about this explanation.
    If you're objecting to my statement that "billions" is needed to go with "How many", I obviously meant "in the given sentence". Yes, I agree that you can have "How many billion" as in the alternative you suggested (which sounds comparatively informal to me), but that's a different sentence. You were able to pair "billion" with "How many" because you changed the sentence.

< Previous | Next >