How many fingers do we have?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Akasaka, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Akasaka Senior Member

Japanese
    Hello everyone,

I understand you don't count your thumb as a finger. Does that mean that we have eight fingers? How many fingers do we have? Also how many toes do we have?

Thanks in advance.

2. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    You have 10 fingers. And ten toes.

You don't normally refer to the thumb as a finger, but that doesn't mean it doesn't count :D

3. dn88 Senior Member

pl
    Hi, I think that we usually have 10 fingers. The thumb can be also referred to as a finger and I suppose that "thumb" is just more specific.

4. Akasaka Senior Member

Japanese
    Thanks guys. It was my misunderstanding. I thought thumbs are not included in fingers.

5. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    We have 10 fingers; two are opposable.

Our thumbs are opposable--they can be placed opposite the other fingers in our hands.

I believe that only humans, monkeys and apes have that capability.

It is what separates humans from three-toed sloths.

6. mplsray Senior Member

I was recently watching a DVD of the first season of the cartoon sitcom The Simpsons. At one point, some young shoplifters referred to their offense by using the slang expression "five-finger discount." In the accompanying commentary, the speaker (director or writer) said that when making the episode the writers wondered whether they should change it to "four-finger discount," seeing as the characters in The Simpsons have only four fingers on each hand (three fingers and a thumb). In the end, they decided to go with the usual form of the expression.