how many fruits? how much fruit?

jakartaman

Korean
I've learned from the thread below the difference between "how much fruit do you eat?" and "how many fruits do you eat?"
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=416258

Now say someone has two apples, three oranges and one mango and I want to know the total of number of fruit he has (six in this particular case).

Then do I ask "How much fruit do you have?" or "How many fruits do you have?"

According to the thread above, the answer to the former should be six and that to the latter three.

But I think in this case, only the latter is used to get the answer of six. What do you say?

• Myridon

English - US
    How many pieces of fruit do you have?
    (Someone who eats a grape and a blueberry has not eaten the same amount of fruit as someone who has eaten an apple and an orange so reducing both pairs to the single number 2 is not often useful.)

jakartaman

Korean
    How many pieces of fruit do you have?
    (Someone who eats a grape and a blueberry has not eaten the same amount of fruit as someone who has eaten an apple and an orange so reducing both pairs to the single number 2 is not often useful.)
    Thank you, Myridon.

I used "have" to mean "own" and "hold in someone's hand."

How about "How many fruits are there?"? Would you say, "How many pieces of fruit are there?" as well?

I mean it's so clear that you have 6 separate entities (2 apples, 3 oranges, 1 mango).

I understand grapes are different because they come in bunches but if you see someone holding those 6 things, you would never say '6 fruits'?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    If I were holding two apples, three oranges, and a mango, I'd say I had six pieces of fruit. If you asked me how many fruits I had, I'd say "How many different fruits? Three."

jakartaman

Korean
    Thank you Florentia and Myridon. One last question if you don't mind.

Speaking of a bundle of grapes....

Say I have two bundles of grapes(instead of two apples), three oranges, a mango, do they still make up six pieces of fruit?

Myridon

English - US
    Bunch not bundle.
    You have four pieces of fruit and two bunches of grapes.
    I'm not sure how we could tell one bunch of grapes from two bunches of grapes unless they are a different color. A bunch of grapes is on one stem. If you break the stem, you have the same number of grapes but two bunches.

jakartaman

Korean
    Bunch not bundle.
    You have four pieces of fruit and two bunches of grapes.
    I'm not sure how we could tell one bunch of grapes from two bunches of grapes unless they are a different color. A bunch of grapes is on one stem. If you break the stem, you have the same number of grapes but two bunches.
    Thank you very much, Myridon.

I meant bunch :) but I don't know why I said bundle :)

< Previous | Next >