How many grams is it per reel?

< Previous | Next >

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
I feel kind of stupid about this question, but nevertheless...

The following is part of an order I am placing for lacemaking thread:
I'm a little hesitant about the Brok 36/2 because it is two-ply, as opposed to three. I guess I'll give it a try, though, because it is clear that I need to start thinking about substitutes [for my usual thread]. How many grams is it per reel?
Now, if I had asked the question without the previous sentences, I would have said "How many grams are there per reel?" But somehow, in referring to "the Brok 36/2" as "it", my sentence came out the way it did in the bold font. Is there a justification for this or is it just plain wrong?

Be honest, I can take it! :cool:

(In case the background is important to anyone, lacemaking thread is bought by weight, not length, so I need to buy a sufficient number of grams to complete the project.)

Thanks!

• Loob

English UK
    It looks fine to me, Nunty:)

It's x grams per reel > how many grams is it per reel?

(Not that I know the first thing about lacemaking:()

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Thanks, Loob. You restored my faith in my ability to speak English.

In my example is "the Brok 36/2" the antecedent of "it" or is "it" sort of a null subject. (Sorry, forgot the real term for that.)

(You're welcome to drop by the hermitage for a lacemaking class.)

shawnee

English - Australian
    What you've said sounds right, by referring to the brock 36/2 as "it", the sentence is grammatically correct, as its meaning is different to asking, "how many grams are there per reel", as this does not specify any subject.

Loob

English UK
    In my example is "the Brok 36/2" the antecedent of "it" or is "it" sort of a null subject. (Sorry, forgot the real term for that.)

(You're welcome to drop by the hermitage for a lacemaking class.)
    I'd say the antecedent is "the Brok 36/2":
    The Brok 36/2 is x grams per reel > how many grams is the Brok 36/2 per reel?

(Thank you!:D)

EDIT: Oh how I wish I could type more quickly....

< Previous | Next >