• 5 or more

Votes: 134 20.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLanguage

USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
How many languages do you know?

Not a must, but it would be great if you could also post which languages you know and your current level of fluency.

In order to count as knowing a language you should at least be semi-fluent. (Whatever that means to you)

From,
-Jonathan.

PS: I have done a couple searches and haven't found a poll exactly like this one, but maybe I missed something.

• JLanguage

USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
    I'll start:

1. English - native language
    2. Hebrew- can hold a conversation, read and write basic to intermediate Hebrew
    3. Latin-Almost through with two semesters, can read and translate simple Latin. Almost no verbal fluency.

-Jonathan

alc112

Argentina Spanish
    Hi!!

Spanish ----> Mother tongue
    English -----> I'm fluent
    German -----> I have been studying it for 2 years, know lots of grammar but don't many words.
    I would like to study Italian
    that's all

Cheers

timpeac

English (England)
    English - mother tongue
    French - fluent but still make mistakes I shouldn't
    Spanish - fluentish, but used to be a lot better.
    Latin - long time since I studied it but it helps all the time with the other languages.
    German - basic. Taught myself a long time ago. Now I have forgotten the basic grammar which means I am reticent to use the little vocab etc that I know. Is an aim of mine to brush up on the basics because that would give me a lot more confidence.
    Russian - learnt for a few terms at school and almost completely forgotten. Can still read the alphabet though!
    Italian - some of the linguistic books I needed at uni were only written in Italian so I had to learn the basics sufficiently to read (but then only technical books where a lot of the words are similar to other languages). Have now forgotten a lot, and could not hold a conversation, although I can understand a bit if people speak slowly.
    Catalan - lived in Barcelona for a few months and picked up a few phrases and now have forgotten everything. Completely.

ambar_violeta

Argentina/Esp & English
    Hey !

It's been a while since my last post.

=(

Spanish: Mother tongue.
    English: Pretty fluent.
    German: I've been learning German for about 2 months. But I'm in love with this language. If you speak I'll understand nothing, but I can read some.
    French: If you speak really slowly I'll probably understad you, because I'm learning French at school, but I don't really like it and I can't pronunce it.
    Portuguese: I've never studied this language, but I can understad almost everything and sometimes I can speak a bit too.

I wanna improve my German !
    What a wonderful language !

Adios
    May*

suzzzenn

USA English
    Hi,
    I voted for two.
    English - native speaker
    Spanish - functional but not fluent studying about 3 1/2 years

Trique - studying about 2 years (Native American Language spoken in SW Mexico). Not functional yet, although I know all the rules and can understand a lot. I have also intensively studied the structure of Zulu, Slave (NW Canada) , and Ayutla Mixtec (Mexico). I am trying to decide what language is next! I have friends who speak French and family members who speak Greek and Russian, so one of those would be practical, but I think I would prefer to learn another non-Indo-Eurpoean language. Japanese?? I'll probably pick another Native American language, maybe Navajo.
    Susan

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hola,
    English
    español/castellano
    português
    italiano

The last two are quite rusty from lack of use.

Also a bit of RPG!! and dim memories of APL

I can read quite a bit of French, but have the good sense not to pretend to speak it.

Don't know what you would do to classify these: Galego... It's so close to português that I can read it and understand it with no problem.
    Catalá--fairly easy to read...I don't speak it at all.

I often have trouble understanding women, regardless of the language we are using....does anyone have a good textbook? They seem to have no trouble figuring me out! Could this be a phonetics issue?

ILT

México - Español/Castellano
    Spanish - mother tongue
    English - pretty fluent
    Portuguese - can read it, can write it with mistakes, maybe could speak it if forced, but I've forgotten a lot
    Italian - can read it, I've forgotten how to write and speak the language
    French - minimum, I've forgotten most

This post has made me think about taking some classes again. Maybe when I finish the translation workshop I am currently attending I'll seek some, thanks! :)

ILT

ILT

México - Español/Castellano
    cuchuflete said:
    I often have trouble understanding women, regardless of the language we are using....does anyone have a good textbook? They seem to have no trouble figuring me out! Could this be a phonetics issue?
    Cuchu:

Don't worry, I'm a woman mysef and I swear I don't understand my fellow "gender-mates" half the time!

My husband and my brother in-law keep asking my dad about the user's manual they claim they should've received at the weddingl; if he ever hands it out I promise you a copy :)

ILT

Jana337

čeština
    Czech: native
    English: fluent
    German: fluent
    Italian: upper-intermediate, hope to converge to fluency in the foreseeable future, there's much to to grammarwise but it is vocabulary what presents the main challenge
    Slovak: extremely easy to read, and I am able to pretend active knowledge but there's obviously no need to do it
    Russian: pretty rudimentary
    Arabic: even the basics that I have learnt are rusty :(

To sum up, I voted 4 in the poll.

Jana

mnzrob

Chicago English and German
    English - Mother tongue
    German - Mother tongue
    French - I can understand it very well, and have conversations, but i haven't studied or really spoken it in a while, so i'm a little rusty. But a couple months in France would change that. Studied French for ca. 8 years.
    Spanish - I can understand it pretty well, but can't speak it too well anymore. Studied spanish for ca. 7 years

voted 3.

Rob

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    beatrizg said:
    Spanish

Greek - Aunque este idioma necesita urgentemente una reforma ortográfica!
    Ayúdanos, Artrella!

English (or should I say globish?!)

Bea, salgo en el próximo avión para interiorizarme de la problemática con el alfabeto griego... en un par de horas me hago un cursito super intensivo de griego y ya voy con un bosquejo para la próxima reforma...

:D

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    German native language

English second language and fluent

French I'm studying it for 3 years, but I know its grammar pretty good.

Arabic I'm just learning it, very basic

Spanish I'm just learning it, quite rusty

Italian I'll learn it in the foreseeable future.

I voted 3 languages.

jmx

Spain / Spanish
    Spanish - mother tongue
    English - passable in writing, but I lack oral practice
    Catalan - fluent but with many faults and awful pronunciation
    French - used to be passable, but I haven't practised it in about 5 years !
    German - studied it 4 years, but was never fluent, and now mostly forgotten
    Japanese - studied it 2 years, now mostly forgotten

I've done timid attempts at self-teaching Italian and Chinese.

Voted as 4.

zebedee

Gt. Britain - English
    English: Mother tongue
    Spanish: Fluent after 13 years living in Spain
    French: Studied from the age of 7 onwards as my second language, did my Uni degree in French and lived there for 2 years - used to speak fluently but now it's espagnolisé, am taking weekly conversation classes to get it back again.
    Latin: Also studied from the age of 7 up to University degree
    Valenciano: I understand perfectly and try to speak with some success (usually after a few beers)
    Catalán: A bit more difficult to understand orally until I tune in to the accent.
    Latin, French & Spanish help me to understand written Italian Portuguese & Gallego.

I voted 4.

CLEMENTINE

SWITZERLAND / FRENCH
    I would vote for 3 : French, English and Spanish.
    My level is not good enough in Russian and in Japanese

CBFelix

Turkish-mother tongue
    English- fluent in talking but writing is disaster
    French - it’s ok..I can read and talk, but can’t go into big conversations.
    Dutch - sufficient enough to found my way around, let’s say “upper-basic”..
    Portuguese - I can definitely talk.. Writing; no way !.
    Cantonese – I just started to learn (in few months, we will move to Guangzhou, for a couple of years we will live there)
    Urdu – very little, I forgot a lot… :(

So, I vote for 5

Philippa

Britain - English
    Nothing very interesting or dramatic from me:

English - mother tongue
    Spanish :) :cool: :D - jeje! I love it! Semi-fluent, I hope! I've been learning for nearly 4 years now!
    French - I learned it at school for many years and also spent a couple of months in France. This was all a looong time ago. I can still understand it quite well, but when I try to speak it comes out 75% Spanish!

So I'm voting 2!!
    Philippa :)

garryknight

UK, English
    English: native language
    Spanish: learning now; can read most of what I come across, albeit with a dictionary to hand, can write as long as the dictionary is within reach, not so good at speaking but can manage basic conversation
    French: learned at school to GCSE O level, forgotten a lot
    Russian: learned at school to GCSE O level, only remember a few words
    Latin: learned at school for 3 or 4 years, only remember a few words

Also C, Pascal, Basic, Perl, Python, various assembler languages, etc.

So I voted for 2: English, Spanish

saramar

España / español
    Hi,
    Spanish: native language
    English: fairly fluent
    French: learning now;
    so I have voted 3
    Regards
    Sara

Phryne

Argieland--Esp/Eng
    Spanish: native language, but I’m still learning.
    English: I can speak much better than I can write it. It’s my everyday language, if that means anything.
    Italian: I can read it and hold a conversation, but I speak Spalian/Itanish or mostly Spanish with an Italian accent. :( Classes are approaching.
    Portuguese: I can read it and follow a conversation, nothing else, Ican't even speak Portuñol. Classes are on hold... for good? :(
    French: I can't speak it, I can read some and I was able to understand a lot when I was in France. Pathetic!
    Spanish lisp: I can do a fairly good impression. hehehehe :D
    Spanglish: I'm learning a lot but not a fluent speaker yet!
    Gerinjoso: Very proficient. In order to learn it, Spanish is a must!
    Chinese: Wishing I knew some
    German: Pending
    Ebonics: Learning as we speak.

So, I'm just bilingual, I'm afraid to say! :(

Like an Angel

Argentina - Spanish
    Spanish: mother tongue, still learning!.-
    English: fluent, although I made mistakes that I shouldn't (did I say fluent? noooooo. I can read, write and speak -people say that that is the best of my English- but there is a long long loooooooooong way to go ahead!!).-
    Portuguese: learning now, first year, but it's easy.-
    Japanese: learning now, second year.-
    Italian: learning now, first year.-
    French: learning now, first year.-

I've voted 3.-

EDIT: I was sleepy when I wrote this, so I have made some corrections :)

Benjy

English - English
    english. fluent i guess.
    french. i have been told i speak french pretty well.
    hebrew. a little.
    latin. 5 years at school. have forgotten everything.
    edit- benjois too!

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Portuguese: native language.
    English: fluent.
    French: a bit rusty now, due to lack of practice.

I can understand written Spanish quite well, and spoken Spanish with a little more difficulty, but I've never actually studied it, and I can't speak fluently.

haujavi

Spain, spanish
    Spanish: mother tongue.
    English: written fluent, speaking less fluent.
    French: written more or less fluent, speaking quite good.
    Basque: medium level
    German: a little, trying to improving
    Galego: I understand and can speak but not writing properly.

Citrus

Español / México
    Spanish - Mother Tongue
    English - Pretty fluent (spelling and pronunciation a bit rusty)
    Italian - I'm learnig . . . basic

I voted 2 languages ;)

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Te gato English--very fluent..(have my own Dictionary & Spelling) :D
    English--Try to speak it..and write it..
    Spanish--Hopeless..but still trying..
    French---a little to speak..
    German--a little to speak..
    Dutch---a little to speak
    Catalan--being tutored
    So I voted for none..Still learning all...

tg;)

LV4-26

French : mother tongue

English : written, spoken, translated and interpreted. Still a long way to go, though.
    Spanish : my second foreign language. It was my third Language at the "Ecole Supérieure d'Inteprètes et de Traducteurs". (after French and English). This means I can translate from Spanish to French but never the other way round.
    German and Italian : Learnt German for 3 years a long time ago. Only two years of Italian but I feel much more at ease in Italian than in German. (I believe you could call me a "four-oh-four" in German).

I voted for 2 (FR and EN)

HeatherR

Canada-English
    English - mother tongue

French - fluent - I grew up in Quebec City and majored in French at university.

Spanish - intermediate - I took one course in university about 30 something years ago and decided when I was in Mexico 4 years ago and couldn't remember a thing in Spanish that I was going to start studying it again. Since then I have vacationed in a Spanish speaking country (mainly Mexico) at least once a year and last month spent a week at Spanish school in Playa del Carmen, Mexico and loved it!

timpeac

English (England)
    alc112 said:
    ¿Saben qué?
    Podemos sacar la conclusióon de que el aprender idiomas es un vicio, si aprendes uno no es suficiente.
    Pero todo el mundo aprende al menos un idioma...

lainyn

Canadian English
    English - Native speaker
    French - functionally fluent, but still a long way to go. I've been studying it for 8 years or so, but only 5 years for anything significant.
    Spanish - 2 semesters of high school spanish, 1 course in university - but I'm very good at improvising, understanding, reading, and I really can hold my own if given the chance, albeit with mistakes.
    Japanese - basic touristy stuff
    Italian - pat phrases, great comprehension though - due to influence of Spanish and French, good at the grammar, working on pronunciation.
    German - grammar only
    Latin - on the verge of learning (and am very excited for summer university course coming up)
    Ancient Hebrew - only very little, enough to study the Bible a bit
    Ancient Greek - in the sights
    Mandarin, Arabic, and every other language in the world...- definitely a long term goal.

So I'm going to vote for 3.

Helicopta

England - English (Learning Spanish)
    English – Mother tongue (although I would never treat my mother the way I treat the English language)
    Spanish – Determined to become fluent, after 2 years of study I know that my goal remains a long, long way away.

French and German – Studied at school but have forgotten all but a few words.

I’ve picked up one or two words of Thai, Khmer, Vietnamese, Sinhalese, Arabic and Flemish from travelling. I won’t pretend that I know anything of these languages, I just think it’s courteous to at least learn things like ‘hello’, ‘goodbye’, ‘how do you do’ and ‘thank you’ when visiting another country.

I’ve voted for two but I’m probably flattering myself by including Spanish. I didn’t want to be the only person to vote for one.:(

DDT

Italy - Italian
    Italian: mother tongue
    English: fluent
    French: fluent
    German: rusty (used to be good in the past)
    Spanish: well, rather...Itañolo (I need more vocabulary!!!)
    Arabic: I never had a chance to speak it so that I can only read and write it (there's a huge gap between written and spoken Arabic)
    Latin: I adored it (I just brushed it up while trying to understand some Roman inscriptions)
    Benjois: I was one of the first official Benjois interpreters :D

DDT

mia04

UK
    english
    English- Fluent
    Greek- nearly fluent
    Spanish- studying now at A-level and studying it at university in a few months so im hoping to be fluent one day!
    italian- i would love to learn it and i am contemplating doing it from beginners level at university! :D
    french- the very basics!!
    :)

walnut

Italy - Italian
    Italian: mother tongue
    English: determined to become fluent! :p
    French: I rarely speak it, used to be fluent, but had quite a limited vocabulary
    Modern Greek: survival kit and something more - I adore it and I'd love to study it.
    Latin: studied it at school, rusty but still there when I need it
    Ancient greek: studied it a lot at school... but now it's petrified!

:)

Rebecca Hendry

United Kingdom - English
    English is my mother tongue.

I speak Spanish very fluently, having studied it at university and lived in Spain for several years. I am often mistaken for an "andaluza" because of my accent, but I actually learnt my Spanish in Extremadura.

French was my minor subject at uni, and I used to speak it fairly well, but now every time I try it comes out Spanish! I can read it pretty well, and understand it relatively well, but I'd need to live in France again I think to get back what I used to know.

Cairenn

Croatian/Croatia
    Croatian is my mother tongue

I studied French in my primary and high school, total of 9 years. I'm not sure if I'd be able to communicate in French (I can count till billion :D), though I can read it.

I started learning English when I was 7 years old and I've been using it more or less actively since then.

I've been learning Spanish for, let's see .. 10 years (man! :eek: ). It's my major at university (still :D).

Sindri

Iceland - Icelandic
    Voted for three

1. Icelandic - able to speak it as a native
    2. - 3. Spanish - can understand almost everything and able to speak it pretty well but need a lot more practice
    2. - 3. English - can understand almost everything and able to speak it pretty well but need a lot more practice as well
    4. French - just one semester in school, did pretty good but I find it boring
    5. Portugues - able to understand like 50% just started to study it hoping to be able to speak it as well as Spanish and English soon
    6. Danish - used to understand it very well like 90% but now I understand like 30% don´t like it much anyway
    7. Thai - very interested but still I only know few words and phrases and only few letters of the alpabet

Lancel0t

Philippines - Filipino/English
    As for me:

Filipino - My native tongue
    English - pretty fluent (but still there are lot of things that I still need to lear)
    Spanish - basic spanish (I can only practice my spanish through conversation with our customers at work)
    Portuguese - I'm trying to speak it in order to help our Portuguese and Brazillian customers though I don't have any knowledge at all. (Thanks to the Portuguese speaking users here.)
    Japanese - I know some of its words and I really want to learn this language so that I could enjoy watching animes even better.

I only voted for 2 because those are the only languages I really know and I feel that I am on a firm ground everytime I'm using those.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Here are my languages in order of proficiency:

1. English
    2. Arabic

3. French
    4. Spanish
    5. German

6. Dutch
    7. Hebrew
    8. Italian
    9. Norwegian

Legend:
    NATIVE FLUENCY
    FLUENCY, NOT NATIVE
    BASIC KNOWLEDGE

DETAILS:

English is not my mother language, but the language I speak best. I went to an American school my whole life and picked it up there. I still speak English to my siblings, who went to the same school. اللغة العربية لغتي الأم فأنا فلسطيني. J'ai appris le français il y a presque sept ans, et depuis ce moment-là je m'y suis amélioré, afin que je le parle relativement bien pour quelqu'un qui l'a appris presque complètement tout seule. El caso del español es parecido. También lo aprendí casi completamente solo, y además pasé unos tres meses en Madrid, donde mejoré muchísimo. Deutsch habe ich erst letzten Sommer gelernt, aber durch ein intensives Programm, so dass ich jetzt Deutsch ziemlich gut kann. Ich studiere nämlich dieses Semester auch in Deutschland. Ik heb een beetje Nederlands gelernt, omdat ik in Amsterdam een maands was. Ik volg nu een cursus Nederlands, omdat ik nog besser wil praten. .אני מדבר עברית כי אני גר בישראל אבל אני לא מדבר כמז שצריך Posso parlare un po' l'italiano, perche parlo francese e spagnolo! Jeg lære norsk, men jeg kan snakke bare litt!

gOgO

france (Normandie)
    french : I can speak/read/write/understand...mother tongue:p
    english : I can't write/speak it a lot but I can understand a convertation, I have spent two weeks in Ireland, and one month in England.
    spanish : I'm learning it at school ( such as english) I can't write/speak/read but I can understand a little.

germinal

England English
    English - Mother tongue. Fairly fluent.

French - I can read French with almost the same ease as English and I have quite a good vocabulary but I make simple grammatical errors.

Spanish - As above but with more grammatical errors.

German - Reading a liitle more difficult than above and with even more grammatical errors.

I speak French quite well according to the more polite French people I have met.

Spanish - I sometimes have difficulty retrieving the required word when conversing but I can follow most conversations - at least those which include me. Conversations between natives are much harder to follow.

German - I haven't had much opportunity to converse with Germans in their own language as they generally insist on speaking pretty fluent English. When I do get the chance I can understand most general conversation and make myself understood also. :)

Germinal.

jayze

Spanish is my mother tongue, I can speak a little English and understand it well, but I don't write it very well.

EDIT:
    Hola jayze.
    Bienvenid@ a los foros. ¿Sabías que con un simple click en el botón EDIT, puedes editar tus propios posts? Así no tienes que abrir otro post para corregir lo que querías decir. Si tienes alguna duda, mándame un Mensaje Privado y te lo explico.

Saludos,
    Zebedee

Alundra

España - Castellano
    Spanish: Mother tongue.
    English: I can read and tranlate, but is difficult to write and speak for me, although I have very much vocabulary.
    French: I studied for three years. Remember very much words, constructions, but I need to practice.
    Latin: I studied for two years. Remember some constructions and words.
    Italian: Learning in this moment. I hope understand it in a next future.

Alundra.

English - First Language, fluent.

Spanish - second language, conversational "mexican spanish" currently learning Text-book spanish. ( I can speak it & read it, however I can't write in Spanish )

Japanese- I am Learning

Italian- I Survival italian - however I usually screw up & mix it up with spanish.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >