How many people are you?

shema

Japanese
At the restaurants, hotels or somewhere what do you say to make sure how many people your customers have in their parties?

Can I say "How many people are you?"?

I don't want to say in too casual words and want to know some phrases I can use to my customers.

Thanks in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    You certainly hear "How many are you?" but the most neutral thing that comes to mind is "How many in your party?" (as you mentioned in your explanation).

softserve

Mandarin (Traditional Chinese)
    Although i may be mistaken, i remember once I heard over the phone the restaurant receptionist asking me "how large of a group will be coming." And there was another time I was asked by a waitress from Chilis' "what's the size of your group."

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    When I walk in with one other person the restaurant staff usually say "Table for two?"
    Then I can say, "Yes." or "We need a table for six, the others are on their way .. "

Copyright

American English
    We seem to be focusing on restaurants, but the original question is asking about hotels -- presumably, stays/guests -- and seems to want a question with broader range.

Inglip

English - UK
    Oh. I guess the most polite way doesn't have a blanket statement.

'How many peope would be dining?'
    'How many people would like a room?'
    'How many visitors can we expect?'
    'How many go-karts should be reserved?'

etc

heypresto

English - England
    Although i may be mistaken, i remember once I heard over the phone the restaurant receptionist asking me "how large of a group will be coming." And there was another time I was asked by a waitress from Chilis' "what's the size of your group."
    In BE it would be wrong to say "How large of a group will be coming?" We would omit the 'of' - "How large a group will be coming?"

Packard

USA, English
    How many in your room, sir? (or madame) Presumably so that you can determine if they want a king size bed or two smaller ones.

Embonpoint

English--American
    Agreed with all suggestions above and I particularly like Copyright's suggestion of "How many in your party?"

And yes, both expressions given by softserve are commonly used. "How large of a group will be coming" would be a very common idiomatic way to speak. I wouldn't say it is wrong, but it is informal and I would not write it. And "What's the size of your group" overheard at Chilis is also common and correct.

Packard

USA, English
    My first thought when I read the thread title "How many people are you?" was to think of the movie "The Three Faces of Eve". The movie starred Joanne Woodward and she played a character with a multiple personality disorder.

So I would not use "How many people are you?"

But the OP was talking about a hotel, and not a restaurant so I'm not sure how this all applies. From my experience hotel employees only ask to find out how many are in a room so they can charge appropriately. They charge extra for additional people (and children).

Usually the hotel clerk simply says, "Will it be just you in the room?" To which I reply, "Yes, unless I get lucky."

< Previous | Next >