How many periods?

Japanese and Japan
How many periods should I put in the blank below, three or four?

[A and B are talking about Casual Day. ]
A: I suppose the downside sometimes may be that people don't take what they are doing seriously. I suppose if you're sitting around in jeans and a T-shirt, right, you know, you may be sort of a little lackadaisical ( )
B: Yeah. Right.
A: ... about what you're doing. It creates a less formal sort of atmosphere, which can, as I said, have good and bad points.

• . 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    How many periods should I put in the blank below, three or four?

[A and B are talking about Casual Day. ]
    A: I suppose the downside sometimes may be that people don't take what they are doing seriously. I suppose if you're sitting around in jeans and a T-shirt, right, you know, you may be sort of a little lackadaisical ( )
    B: Yeah. Right.
    A: ... about what you're doing. It creates a less formal sort of atmosphere, which can, as I said, have good and bad points.
    You already have five periods (fullstops).
    lackadasical requires a period to end the sentence.
    Yeah requires a comma not a period to preceed right,

"... about what you're doing." is not a sentence and probably should be followed by a semicolon;

About what you're doing; it creates a less formal sort of atmosphere, which can, as I said, have good and bad points.

The whole thing is very casual and there could be other combinations of punctuation.

Wernazuma

Österreich, Deutsch
    I thought that 8769 wanted to know about the periods to fill the parenthesis. Now that 86769 replied I think he asks whether "(...)" or "(...)." is more correct. In this case, I'd say you need the final period.

Also, I think there can be a period after Yeah - it depends totally on the dialogue. If there is a long enough pause, one can justify the point.
    I agree on the semicolon, although, as you've said yourself, it's casual, so punctuation should be treated rather flexible...

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    2 cents
    I think it could be an interruption, in which case I'm not sure it is "...."
    How about a dash?
    I'm not sure though.

Wernazuma

Österreich, Deutsch
    If you don't put the parenthesis, I don't think .... is acceptable, but with the parenthesis I'd say it is - but better wair for .,,

< Previous | Next >